Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - Right Now Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Like many people, I am overwhelmed with emotions about the state of our nation and the state of the world.  I don't know what to do about the divisions which seem to grow wider everyday.  It disturbs me greatly that many on the right, who I sincerely believe are good people who I happen to disagree with, can somehow not bring themselves to simply and precisely denounce racism and pro-Nazi sentiment.  From my friends on the right, all I have seen is deflection, false equivalency, and silence. I believe that our nation's potential is best realized when we work together, seek out common ground, and learn to compromise when it is possible.  Unfortunately, we seem to be moving farther apart of from this ideal every day.  As I said yesterday, denouncing Nazis and white supremacists should be one point that the majority of Americans can come together.

I never intended to write about "politics" on E2TG.  I don't want to do it. If it is normal political stuff, I would not do it.  There is nothing normal about what is happening here.  Is this the beginning, the middle or the end of the American empire? Or will we be able to pull out of this mess we are in?

I look around and I see beautiful people who are living their lives the best they can. I see people following their dreams or giving up, I see people excelling or struggling, I see people facing the worst that life has to offer with dignity and grace.  I see beauty in people and in nature. I also see ugliness - not physical ugliness but spiritual ugliness, and I think there is beauty somewhere inside all of that ugliness, but how do we access it?

On another thought, I recently posted a photo of my self from around fifth, sixth, or seventh grade. People comment how little I have changed - which I was not able to see, but for me, the overwhelming feeling that the photo evoked was a wish to be able to go back in time and tell that boy how wonderful and beautiful and perfect he is. It makes me sad that I was often unable to see that them, but it makes me grateful that I can see it now.

It is hard to not run away from all of the ugliness in the world (and I recognize the privilege I having that option as a possibility), and I recognize that I need balance. I must face down the ugliness, but I also need to know when I should take a break.

A bunch of scattered thoughts.
*******************************************************************************

Music does heal - especially when the words ring true.  Tommy Womack and Lisa Oliver-Gray's words rang true for me last night. It was a joy to be around people who share my passion for music and to take in the incredible creative force.


Well, it is Tuesday and we have some "Trending" songs from our "New Music" playlist.... A  few really long songs - so only six songs by four different artists, today.



"Medicine" by Rising Appalachia

America is great when you take something traditional and infuse it with something new or exotic or both. We begin with the first of two songs from the forthcoming Alive album by Rising Appalachia - a band lead by two sisters. Honored to have the chance to preview this music. 

"Hats and Canes" by The Electric Grandmother

It is always fun when a new and unique band comes to my attention. The Electric Grandmother are based in D.C., and they have been around for quite a while. They are purveyors of what they call Sit-Com Core.  Their latest album is called "Cancelled, and it is due out soon. I am completely fascinated by this band.  This is the first of two tracks from that album in today's shuffle.  

"right now" by Pat Power

Pat Power - of E2TG Band of the Year, Valued Customer, just released chants - yesterday - look for music from that coming soon. This is a track from his original nature ep which came out back in May.  If I have not made it abundantly clear, Patrick and Justus of V.C. are two of the most creative people I know, and I am still astounded by the circumstances that lead me to get to know them (at least on-line).  

"Swine" by Dan Brodie

Another newcomer to E2TG, Dan Brodie is an Australian singer-songwriter. His latest album is called Lost Not Found. It features several unique cover songs including Paul Simon, Iggy Pop, Motorhead, Merle Haggard, Prince, and this song written by underground Australian artist Stu Spasm and released by Spasm's band Crunt. 

"You're Going to See Someone Not Drinking Water" by The Electric Grandmother

A second song from Cancelled. The CD release show for Cancelled is scheduled for September 6  at the Black Cat in Washington D.C. and promises to me a most unique multi-media event. 

"Novels of Acquaintance" by Rising Appalachia

And we close out the shuffle as we began with a track from the forthcoming Alive album by roots and world music inspired Rising Appalachia.  A gorgeous song. 




No comments:

Post a Comment