Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - Angels in the Architecture Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


I think I am well on the road to recovery from Americana Fest.  I've been laying low trying to make sure that I get this crud out of my system.

It is Tuesday.  We call this day, Trending Tuesday (because... well, Trending and Tuesday both start with T... and that sort of thing is cute - apparently).

But seriously, we shuffle up songs from our "New Music" playlist - which features primarily songs that have been submitted to us or songs from long-time favorites. It's all relatively recent - sometimes not yet released. It covers about every genre you can think of and a few you probably have never thought of.. it's all good, and that seems like a good reason to stop writing and get to the songs...


"Praise the Sun" by The Electric Grandmother

We start with another awesome track from Cancelled, the latest album from The Electric Grandmother. They operate out of one of those genres you may not have thought about - Sitcom-Core. This concept album tells the story of a man who finds out that his favorite cop show has been cancelled. 

"Gotta Go" by Dan Montgomery

Next up a rocking track from Dan Montgomery's Gone album. I have been fortunate enough to see Dan Montgomery live a few times, and he always has a killer band with him.  Most recently, I attended the Nashville CD Release show for this album which was a whole lot of run. 

"You Can Call Me Al" by Dan Brodie

Marking the second cover of this Paul Simon song that I  have heard in a matter of days.  (Eddie Berman did a great cover opening up the Friday Basement East Showcase lineup).  Dan Brodie's version is very different than Berman's (or Simon's for that matter). This track is included on the recent release, Lost Not Found by Australian artist Dan Brodie.  Both covers - albeit different - underscore the deceptive depth of the song. I say deceptive depth, because I think for many - myself included - the whimsical music video starring Chevy Chase and the acrobatic word play belie what the song represents. Check out Brodie's version in the Video Playlist (linked below) and see if you agree. 

"Deep in the Shadows" by Strange Majik

Next up, we have the title track from the most recent EP by New York singer-songwriter Strange Majik (who we have been following since his days in The Dead Exs).  Deep in the Shadows is his second release of the year - following Soul Crisis. Both releases are a reaction to the troubled time in which we live. 

"Scare for Scars" by SuperCrashingStar

I got a message first thing this morning that today is release day for the brand new SuperCrashingStar album, Digital Lo-Fi.  It is available at some of the places you ordinarily go for music - like Spotify etc.  SuperCrashingStar have undergone some personnel changes since we began writing about them - which necessitated the recording of some new songs.  The result is Digital Lo-Fi.  I love the unique sound of this band, and I always look forward to hearing what they have going on.  This is a truly global band that has played Japan, New York City, and Europe in the past.  (notice I cleverly listed a country, a city, and a continent together).

"Statues" by Dog Without Warning

I recently figured out that E2TG favorites Dog Without Warning had a release I somehow missed.  It came out almost a year ago, but I just recently added to my playlist. Dog Without Warning are from the Bay Area of California. I am pretty sure, I first heard them on Couch By Couchwest a few years back.  This most recent release is called Faith in Knots: 7 Year Itch - and it is a re-recording of their first album Faith in Knots - seven years after it was released.  My favorite thing about this band, is that they consistently change their style while maintaining an essential band sound supported by really good songs. 

"Cloisters" by Logan X

And, we close things out with a track from The Uncanny Logan X.  Logan X is the brainchild of Sam Michael Braverman. He came to my attention via a Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen compilation.  Most recently, I got to meet him during his summer tour as part of the band NO ICE.  I really love his songwriting.  Check out this song on the video playlist (linked below)



No comments:

Post a Comment