Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - Sleep Talking Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook


"I mean, I'm not disagreeing with what they are trying to say but..." 

"...they could have found a better way than dumping all that tea into the water."
"...why'd they have to sit at the lunch counters during lunch time? I just came to get a sandwich not to see this." 

Civil disobedience is supposed to be civil, it is not supposed to be convenient. (although I'm having a hard time understanding why someone respectfully kneeling during the National Anthem bothers people so much.  (that is a rhetorical question). 

Racism and other forms of bigotry are not new, but it is disheartening to see so many racists and bigots being emboldened by the current administration.  Maybe it is necessary to bring evil into the light in order to destroy it.  That, at least, is my hope.

 "I do not pretend to understand the moral universe; the arc is a long one, my eye reaches but little ways; I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. And from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice."  Theodore Parker (later paraphrased by Martin Luther King Jr.)
*********************************************************************************

Wow, the 3rd Quarter of 2017 is almost over... It's just about time for me to start thinking about the 3rd Annual Earie Awards and the 2017 Band(s) and Artist(s) of the Year.  As is often the case in recent months, I find that I cannot possibly get to all of the music sent my way.  I try my best because I know some really awesome stuff is slipping by me. And, even with those that slip by... my "New Music" playlist recently topped 500 songs.  Beginning Monday, I am going to adjust my schedule to cover more of the "New Music", and I will also be working to clear some older songs from that playlist. I am really excited about some of the new music that has been coming my way...

Today is Wednesday which is "Wild Wednesday" here at E2TG.  We shuffle up all the songs in my phone memory and present a decent cross-section of the diversity of music that I dig. Sometimes, I will think that maybe I could have a bigger audience if I narrowed my focus... but I could also have a bigger audience if I used click-bait headlines and made controversial statements about popular artists just for the sake of being controversial. I don't want to do any of those things... so here is E2TG just being E2TG..... Peace...


"Sleep Talking Blues" by Ma Rainey

We begin with the "Mother of the Blues" - the one and only Ma Rainey.  This song was recorded in 1928.  Ma Rainey died in 1939 at the age of just 53 years old. 

"World Junk" by Exedra

In true E2TG fashion, we move from Ma Rainey to some very modern, very alternative music from the UK.  Exedra is a project of long-time E2TG favorite Jeremy Gluck (The Barracudas) along with Darrall Knight and Mark Elliott. This is from the 2016 album Elemental. 

"In Thrall" by Black Severn

Staying in the UK  - with some dark, neo-psychedelic music ... from the self-titled 2016 album by these E2TG favorites.  

"Cajun Waltz" by Sonny Landreth

Next up, we have the king of Slydeco (zydeco with a slide guitar) via the one and only Sonny Landreth from his South of I-10 album.  Dedicated to all my Cajun family members. 

"Opinionated Blues" by Dirty Basement Blues

Nearly a century on from Ma Rainey - the blues are still going strong.  We have a track from this hard rocking blues band from Michigan - off their 2014 album Coming Clean. 

"Looking for a Good Time" by Randy Weeks

Next up, we have Austin Texas singer-songwriter Randy Weeks with a track from his 2006 album Sugarfinger. 

"Suzy Q" by Johnny Thunder

And we close things out for this "Wild Wednesday" with a song that was written by Dale Hawkins in the 1950s.  In the 1960s, it was recorded by the Rolling Stones and Creedence Clearwater Revivial.  It was been recorded by many others. This version is by singer Johnny Thunder (not Johnny Thunders) who had a hit with Loop De Loop in 1963.  Johnny Thunder, who was born Gil Hamilton, has continued to perform into his 80s


No comments:

Post a Comment