Thursday, October 12, 2017

Trending Thursday Morning Shuffle - Was it An Accident Mix




Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook


So much on my mind these days... good stuff and not so good stuff and really bad stuff...

I am so happy that WXNA was voted Best Radio Station by the Readers of the Nashville Scene. Even if I did not have a show on the station, I would be a listener and a supporter. Thanks to the incredibly hard work of the Board (all former DJs at Vanderbilt's WRVU), a huge gap in the Nashville landscape was filled in June 2016.  Just yesterday, on my way home from work, I was listening to the station and it occurred to me how much I love listening to shows that play music outside of my "comfort zone" for want of a better term.  The variety of music and talk on the station is incredible.

As for the not so good stuff  and the really bad stuff... well, you can probably guess some of it. #Resist #Persist 

It is Thursday - and it is our recent tradition to do Topical shuffles on Thursday, but to try to get through the many songs in my "new music" playlist- I am devoting Thursday's to new music for the next couple of months.

Shuffle!


"It Don't Make No Sense" by This Frontier Needs Heroes

You know what does make sense? Reading the news headlines and then getting in the car and hearing this song.  Another track from Real Job.  This is what folk music is supposed to do. This is what music can do. This is what people can and must do. We needs voices - whether it is Eminem or This Frontier Needs Heroes or a mild-mannered music blogger who doesn't like getting "political". There is an existential threat to this nation (and maybe the world) and none of it makes sense. 

"I Will" by Laurence Jones

Laurence Jones is a young British blues phenom.  He just released a new album called The Truth. This is a track from his previous most recent album, Take Me High. Take Me High was produced by Mike Vernon - the legendary producer who has worked with Eric Clapton, Peter Green, John Mayall, and many, many more. 

"Northern Judgement" by SuperCrashingStar

Now that I solved the tagging error dilemma, I was able to identify this track from Digital Lo-Fi.  I really love this song - which provided the inspiration for the subtitle of this shuffle.  

"Loathsome Shadow" by Lazarus

Next up, from the album Rock  n Roll Heart. Lazarus is an Americana "song and dance man" based in Austin Texas, 

"Dawn Awakening" by Fangs and Twangs

Next up, a song about a creature of the night, in the style of a an old time western. About riding off into the sunrise. 
"Wild Horses" by Amilia K. Spicer

Next, another track from Wow and Flutter - not the Rolling Stone's song, but a cool song none-the-less.  Amilia K. Spicer is based in Los Angeles. 

"Take it Slow" by AJ Hobbs feat. Dominique Pruitt

We close the shuffle with two examples of REAL country music being made today.  First up, we have another L.A. artist. From the album, Too Much is Never Enough. Really love this song.  Hobbs is a 2017 Nominee for an Ameripolitan Award (Best Outlaw Male).  Around the time, I got this album, Hobbs came through Nashville and had Buck n Stuff as his backing band. 

"Silent Night" by Jon Byrd

And we close with a favorite from Dirty Ol' River. The song was notably covered by Peter Cooper and Eric Brace. Just a beautiful song. I have the opportunity to see Jon Byrd twice tomorrow, and I'm going to do my best not to squander either opportunity. 



No comments:

Post a Comment