Thursday, October 19, 2017

Trending Thursday Morning Shuffle - Trippin' Balls Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook


Man - music sure is good for the soul.  After getting into a bit of a funk earlier in the week, I have gone out to hear live music the last two nights and I feel so much better.  Last night, I headed out to Dee's in Madison. Allen Thompson has been hosting a semi-weekly residency there for a few weeks - but this was the first time I was able to make it out, and I am glad I did.  2015 E2TG Artist of the Year, Jon Latham played solo and as he tends to do - he kind of sort of ruled hard.

Allen Thompson and his band were up next... I was reminded of how much I love hearing Allen Thompson sing - whether it is a cover or an original, I know of few singers who throw so much of themselves into a song.

The crowd was filled with lots of my favorite people from the Nashville music community and some of them joined Allen and his band - including Todd Snider, Aaron Lee Tasjan, and Rorey Carroll (and Jon Latham).

Anyway, it is Thursday and for now, we are still working our way through the "New Music" playlist.  The playlist had been down below 400 songs for a day or so, but I added some new music last night and it is up over 400 again. 

Today's shuffle is a good one...


"Oh My My" by Ladies Gun Club

My shuffles are random - and randomness has always been a fascination with me.  I love seem coincidences and patterns...   Last night, one of my last conversations of the evening was about Ladies Gun Club and how awesome they are.  If you still haven't checked them out, do so ASAP.  This track from Take My Love Away was a wonderful way to start my morning.

"Got Not Place to Go" by Laurence Jones

The blues are a distinctively American art form, but the British have embraced the music. They have been offering up their own take for well over 50 years.  One of the latest in that long lime, is Laurence Jones. This is a track from his previous album Take Me High.  He just recently released a new album called The Truth. 

"What Kind of World" by Mike Younger

Next up, a wonderful and timely song from the latest album by Nashville singer-songwriter, Mike Younger. Little Folks Like You and Me came out a couple of months ago.  This song asks the questions many of us asking these days. 

"Message to My Unborn Son" by Gloom Balloon

Loosely similarly themed. This is the short, final track from Drying the Eyes of the Goddess of Gloom, Underneath the Stars and the Moon.  

"Harlan" by Amilia K. Spicer

Next, we have another track from the outstanding Wow and Flutter by L.A. singer-songwriter Amilia K. Spicer.  A lovely song. 

"Paul McCartney Buys You a House" by Discount Ravioli

What happens if Sir Paul McCartney buys you a house, but them the couches develop eyes and teeth?  Listen to song and find out. From Baby Arm Sessions.  A featuring young visual artist Batsam taking the mic. As usual, no video, but I found a video of Batsam discussing a video game. Probably the closest to a Discount Ravioli video that exists for now. 
"Adeus" by Teal Audio

Next up, we have our first listen to The Teal Audio Project.  Pretty catchy electronic music. Teal Audio is based in Nashville. I was turned on to this band by Brian Milligram who said, "I hate electronic music, and I like this" So, I'll call it electronic music for people who don't like electronic music.  

"The Street Where I was Born" by Jon Magnusson

Next up, we have the return of  this Swedish singer-songwriter.  Magnusson writes sentimental songs. That is not a criticism. I think I had to qualify that statement because sentiment can be hard to effectively pull of in song.  Jon Magnusson seems to pull it off routinely.  I think it because there is an inherent honesty in his songs. 

"Georgia Peach" by Kristen Englenz

We close things out and come almost full-circle.... Kristen Englenz was at Dee's last night, and Jon Latham had her come up and they sang a lovely cover of the Everly Brother's  "All I Have to Do is Dream".  "Georgia Peach" is from her album The Extent of Play.  Sally Jaye of Ladies Gun Club - like Englenz is from Georgia, and they both sang during the May E2TG residency - in fact, the video of this song is taken from one of those shows and recorded by my friend Crystal.  


No comments:

Post a Comment