Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - Five More Minutes Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook

Well, I'm running a bit late today, and for some reason, I am really tired. So, I'm going to power through this shuffle.  I created a special playlist of artists I wanted to highlight for the end of the year for my "Earie Awards".  Step right up!


"Show Not Tell" by Kristen Englenz


EARIE ALERT:  I already gave Kristen Englenz and Earie for her performance during my May residency - which introduced me to her music. At that time, I got a copy of her CD The Extent of Play.  I don't even think it's a 2017 release, but for the Earies that doesn't really matter.  Since May, I have seen her a few times and each one further cements in my mind that she is a favorite. I just found out that she was a high school classmate of past Earie winner Drew Kohl - and that they were in the school band together.  So, I'm going to offer up (with all love and respect) the "Crazy Connection*" award to her. *Throughout the history of E2TG, I continue to meet people and find lots of unexpected connections.   

"Plasticine Lies" by Teal Audio

EARIE ALERT:  The "Not Just Country" Award for 2017 goes to Teal Audio.  Look, by this point, I really hope that most people are aware that there is a lot more to Nashville's music scene than country. Still, it is always nice to run across bands and artists who totally blow that idea out of the water. In the last couple of years, I think of Ricca Vita, and this year this award seems perfect for Teal Audio and their album Teal Audio Project which offers up electronic music.  Since I met Rob Stewart - the main creative force behind this group - photographing a show - and got this album, I have been enjoying it very much. 

"Little Choices" by Someday

EARIE ALERT:  The "Viva l'Italia!" Award goes to Someday. This track is from their album This Doesn't Exist. They are based out of Torino, Italy.  For whatever reason, I get music from Italy on a fairly consistent basis, and so far it has all been great.  This album in particular stuck with me this year. 

"Tire Swing" by Dylan Galvin

EARIE ALERT:  The "Recess is Important" Award goes to Dylan Galvin. His album is called Remember to Play (hence the award title) which comes from a line from this wonderful song. Unfortunately, I missed Galvin when he passed through Nashville earlier this year, but I hope he will be back.  Turns out he is family friends with a fellow DJ on WXNA - Paul Glavin of Eargasm.   

"Trouble Maker" by Eli Cook

EARIE ALERT:  The "Evangelist of the Blues" Award goes to Eli Cook. His latest album is called High Dollar Gospel (hence my award title). Based in Virginia - Cook's blues roots run deep, and they shine through on this album - one of my favorites of the year. 

"Love or Something Like It" by Lobelia

EARIE ALERT:  The "Close Enough to Love" Award (okay I'm mostly just playing off album titles today - I told you I was tired but as always my affection for the music far outpaces the creativity of my award names).  This is the title track from the latest album by UK singer-songwriter Lobelia. Another favorite of 2017.  

"By My Side" by Sarah Clanton

EARIE ALERT: The "Good Timing" Award - This track is from a live EP called Middle Tree Studio Live which I was turned onto by my radio co-host (and Earie winner) Sue Havlish.  Within a week of her telling me about Sarah (who I think she saw at Dee's), I noticed that she was playing at The 5 Spot, and I checked that show out and I was blown away by what she does musically with the cello and vocally. 

"Toy Soldier" by Dog Without Warning

EARIE ALERT:  The "Better Late" Award (I have at least one of these every year).  Dog Without Warning have been a favorite since I first "discovered" them on Couch by Couchwest.  This is a track from their Faith in Knots: 7 Year Itch album which actually came out late in 2016 but which I missed due to all the Earie craziness and just caught up with this year. The band continues to not only defy expectations but to defy ones ability to even have expectations. They are from the bay area (Oakland - I think).  Check them out if you haven't. 

No comments:

Post a Comment