Thursday, February 15, 2018

Trending Thursday Morning Shuffle - The Nothing Party Mix




Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


My two cents... actual value may vary... End Citizen's United (doublespeak if I've ever heard doublespeak - and I have).   Vote against any candidate who accepts money from the NRA or the gun lobby. Pass and enforce common-sense gun control.  Increase funding for our children. More teachers, more counselors.  Begin to have conversations about the role of guns in our society. The change in culture will take time and it will not be easy.

If you want to offer "thoughts and prayers" for the victims and their families, that is fine, but add some thoughts and prayers for effective and meaningful change in law and attitudes.

These are just ideas. What we are (and are not) doing is clearly not working. Shouting at each other on social media every time there is a mass shooting is clearly not working.   Protecting the lives of our children should not be partisan or divisive issue. How we go about doing that may be, but surely there is common ground.

I don't know... I'm once again heartbroken and numb and angry and frustrated. I've read that 80% of Americans - across party lines - support some kind of reform of gun laws. But our lawmakers ignore the 80% in favor of large donors who represent the gun lobby. That's why I think electoral reform - beginning with an end to Citizen's United is the place to start. Corporations are not people. People are people.  People are fallible, flawed entities, but in the end, I think most people want to keep our children safe. Corporations, by definition, only want to increase the profits of the corporation. That is their purpose.

Okay I'm done....
******************************************************************************

It's Thursday - Let's see what's "Trending" at E2TG. As I left for work, I hit shuffle on the "New Music" playlist of my phone's music player. Here is what happened next...

"You Drive Me Insane" by Jon Worthy

We start things off today with Nashville singer-songwriter Jon Worthy.  I first met him when he was a bill with some other folks I know. At that time, he was giving away his first CD. This is the second new release since then, and this is our first official listen to that album. The album is called Only A Dream, and this is the opening track. I like this song a lot, and I look forward to featuring more of this album.  

"Revolution #None" by Bark

I mentioned Tim and Susan Bauer Lee yesterday, and here they are with their duo Bark from their latest album Year of the Dog. I can't say enough how much I love these people and their music.  They are one of daughter Adelai's favorite bands (and mine to).

"The Cold Hard Truth" by Charlie Smyth
Next up, Nashville artist, Charlie Smyth from his new album The Way I Feel.  I do not think this album is officially out yet, but I hope to hear some news about that soon. In the meantime, I am enjoying hearing the songs and telling you about it.

"Bad for You" by Big Shoes

Powerhouse Nashville band, Big Shoes - led by Mark T. Jordan (and featuring a stacked line-up of incredible session and touring musicians - are up next with a track from their new album Step On It. The band will be having a CD release show for the album tomorrow night at Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar. 

"Hades Nebulae" by Ronan Furlong

Irish singer-songwriter Ronan Furlong returns to the shuffle for the second time this week with another track from his Red Sun Rising album.  I am really loving this album. 

"Constant As The Sky" by Gloom Balloon

Iowa-based band Gloom Balloon return to the shuffle with a track from an album we featured heavily last year. The album is called Drying the Eyes of the Goddess of Gloom, Underneath the Stars and the Moon (and yes I copied and pasted that to make sure I got it right). Good stuff!

"Message" by The Cravens

I always love when weird coincidences and unexpected connections happen in and around E2TG. Most recently, after I posted a couple of tracks from On the Line by Florida band The Cravens, I found out that the bass player in The Cravens had been a one-time member of Let's Active. (I had posted a Let's Active song in connection with my radio show - Double Shot). As I have mentioned before, Tim Lee (of Bark) was also a one-time member of Let's Active. Last time The Cravens showed up in a shuffle - Bark also had a song, and that has happened again. The music world really is small. 

"Moon Dog Elation" by Broken Guru

Next we have another track from Violets Exposed to Radiation by New York band Broken Guru.  This is a lengthy (7+ minute) track. The band can rock hard, and they can also make really lovely music. 

"Goodnight" by Discount Ravioli

Appropriately, we end this shuffle with a track called "Goodnight" which is the 41st track from Baby Arm Sessions (but not the last track - despite wha the title and the track itself might imply.)  Listen to "Goodnight" below:




No comments:

Post a Comment