Monday, May 21, 2018

Music City Monday Morning Shuffle - Love Comes, Love Goes Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Week 1:  Clark Paterson, The Big Dumb, Rayvon Pettis
Week 2: The End Men, Ted Drozdowski's Psychedelic Circus, Ben de la Cour
Week 3:  Brian Milligram, Microwave Mountain, The Coal Men
Week 4: Joanna Barbera, Bee Taylor, Eli Cook

We are just over two weeks away from the E2TG 7th Anniversary Residency at The 5 Spot.  Rayvon Pettis, The Big Dumb, and Clark Paterson will be lighting up the stage.



Consider this a soft release announcement, but my debut novel The Drift is now available from Amazon.  If you are in Nashville and would like a copy, let me know, and we can make some arrangements. Full announcement coming soon.  (They said 3-5 days until it was available, so I wasn't expecting it today!)

Needless to say, I have a lot going on right now, and as is my nature, I'm feeling wholly out of sorts about everything.

Nothing like music to calm my savage beast of a monkey mind - and it is Monday - so we have another fabulous Music City Monday for your enjoyment.


"Postcard from Mexico" by David Olney, Sergio Webb, Jack Irwin

We start things off with a David Olney/John Hadley song that was originally on David Olney's One Tough Town album. This live recording is from Live at Norm's River Roadhouse Volume 1, and features the always amazing Sergio Webb along with Jack Irwin.  Fans of the television series Nashville may recognize the song from Season 1 when it was performed by Connie Britton.  Coincidentally, my main character from my novel receives a postcard from mexico.

"She Was Mine" by Blackfoot Gypsies

One of Nashville's hottest and hardest working bands, Blackfoot Gypsies are up next with a track from their latest album To the Top. The band brings high energy excitement to their particular brand of blues-infused rock and roll. If they come to your town, do no miss out!

"To My Grave" by Wild Ponies

I swear this is true: as I was listening to this shuffle this morning with David Olney being followed by Blackfoot Gypsies - I was thinking - you know what would be cool for the next song - Wild Ponies. And sure enough, that was what the random shuffle brought up.  I can't explain it - or why I had that thought except it is never a bad time for a Wild Ponies song. This is from their most recent album Galax. If you are in downtown Nashville this evening, Wild Ponies will be kicking off the first in a series of live broadcasts from Layla's. It will be the third Monday every month. Their guest for their premiere event will be Jon Byrd. 

"Morning Light" by Richie Owens and The Farm Bureau

My friend and fellow WXNA DJ Richie Owens has been making music in Nashville (and I have been listening) for over 30 years.  His latest band is Smoky White Devils -who tear things up when they play.  His long-running band Richie Owens and the Farm Bureau is still around. This is a track from their album In Farm We Trust which came out in 2011. 

"Make It Through The Fall" by Promised Land Sound

Next up, we have another track from the self-titled debut album.  Great sound from one of the best local bands of the last decade. 

"Don't Spill Food on My Kitchen Floor" by Anna Lindsay Sellers

Nashville is still a small big town or a big small town. True things are rapidly changing and growth is happening... my point, is that the Nashville music community (or communities seems pretty small and pretty tight knit) - it still amazes me when I hear a "new" artist and then find out they've been around a while and that almost everyone I know already knows them... Case in point, Anna Lindsay Sellers.  I caught her as a part of a bill at The 5 Spot. I dug her music and started following her on social media. I'm not sure why it took me so long to hear her music, but I am sure glad I did. This is a track from her Dark Roots album which was recorded live in the studio. I am definitely a fan now. 

"All My Love" by Joe Nolan

I have been a fan and friend of Joe Nolan for several years now. I use the term renaissance man to describe Nolan, and I do not use that term lightly.  He is kicking all sorts of ass on a variety of creative fronts - award-winning poetry, his Nashville Pikes Project on the radio and podcast, and his work supporting and writing about the lively Nashville art scene.  He is also a talented singer-songwriter. This is a track from his Blue Turns Black album. It's six minutes of love. The video is a live performance of this tune from Bobby's Idle Hour with Drew Kohl and Andrew Adkins on stage with him. 

"Wait Here for the Cops" by David Olney, Sergio Webb, Jack Irwin

We close things out with another track from that Live at Norm's River Roadhouse album. This song goes all the way back to David Olney's 1981 album Contender which was released with his band The X-Rays. Nice to have this album book-ending the shuffle. 

VIDEO PLAYLIST





No comments:

Post a Comment