Wednesday, June 6, 2018

E2TG 7th Anniversary Residency Preview Shuffle - Month of Thursdays Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!




TOMORROW!  The E2TG 7th Anniversary Residency kicks off at The 5 Spot in East Nashville.

The show starts at 6:00pm.  The music should get underway no later than 6:15pm (since we have a ton of great music on tap).  Clark Paterson will kick things off with a full-band set. Followed by Rayvon Pettis and The Big Dumb (including a set of The Big Dumb doing their own music).

I decided to create a Spotify playlist to showcase some of the great music we have in store of you in June. I was listening to some of it last night, and we have some pretty amazing artists and music in store (if I do say so myself).

For the month of June, I will be forgoing our usual "Wild Wednesday" shuffle to feature a very special E2TG Residency Shuffle... Let's get started!




"Month of Sundays" by Eli Cook

Week 4: June 28:  I am so excited to have Eli Cook coming in to help close out our residency at the end of the month.  Cook is a Virginia based guitar player and singer who infuses his brand of Southern Blues with a modern rock sound.  His blues roots run deep. This is a track from his latest album High-Dollar Gospel.  Cook has shared the stage with Johnny Winter, Robert Cray, Parliament-Funkadellic, Gary Clark JR, Roomful of Blues, and most recently Robin Trower.  On June 28, he will be sharing The 5 Spot stage with Nashville's own Joanna Barbera and the next artist in our shuffle.


"Tell Me What You Want" by Bee Taylor

Week 4: June 28:  Bee Taylor is a dynamic and powerful presence on the Nashville music scene. An incredible musician and singer - she will be backed by her top-notch band on June 28.  This is a track from her self-titled album.  Described as somewhere between Tom Waits and Amy Winehouse - you will have the chance to judge for yourself on the last Thursday in June. Don't miss it. 

"Desperate Hosea" by Rayvon Pettis

Week 1: June 7:  About two years ago or so, Darrin Bradbury recommended Rayvon Pettis to me.  Darrin has - as far as I recall, only specifically recommended a handful of artists to me in the years I have known him, and they are all among my favorites. As is my habit, it took me a little while to follow though on the recommendation, but once I heard Rayvon Pettis' songs - I was hooked. I got to preview his album, Dying Light, early last year - but it wasn't until late in 2017 that the album was finally released.  It was a slam dunk, that Rayvon was going to be my Artist of the Year for 2017, and I stoked to have him helping to open up my Residency tomorrow night. 

"Set the Controls" by Microwave Mountain

Week 3: June 21:  About a year and a half ago - I guess - I started hearing about this great band. It happens, I guess in most music communities, where you hear about a band from one person, then another... When I finally got my chance to see Microwave Mountain - opening for Buck n Stuff at the American Legion - I found out that the buzz was deserved.  Led by Salt Lake City transplant, Jamie Timm - this band delivers a sonic force of good time music. Timm is a very busy man these days - playing with The Minks, Little Bandit, and more. He is also one of the nicest guys in a scene that is not short on very nice guys.  This is a track from their recent release, Sick Licks. Do not miss the chance to see this band playing a rare early show. 

"Just Tonight" by Brian Milligram

Week 3: June 21:  I met Brian Milligram through our mutual love of the man and music that is Darrin Bradbury.  Milligram was inspired by seeing Bradbury perform in a church basement when he was a teenager. I had seen his name on Instagram before he moved to Nashville from his native New York State (not Jersey but close). Once I met him, heard his music and saw him perform, I was hooked. Milligram brings a punk rock attitude to his often emotional and raw songs. Brian will be making his 5 Spot debut on June 21 - so you will want to make plans to arrive on-time. 

"Beggin' Jesus" by Ted Drozdowski's Scissormen

Week 2: June 14:  The first time I saw Ted Drozdowski live - he left the stage - sat at the bar, used a beer bottle as a slide - with his guitar propped in someone lap. He did this all without missing a note. The second time I saw him live, he again left the stage, used a wine glass as a slide, walked out the front door of the old Family Wash, came back in the side entrance - again without missing a note. As it turns out, this is a signature move - so expect something similar next Thursday when Ted brings the new incarnation of his band/show - dubbed Ted Drozdowski's Psychedelic Circus to The 5 Spot. In addition to being a world class guitarist, Ted is a scholar of the blues and a respected journalist. This is a track from his album Love and Life - which I had the opportunity to review for No Depression a couple of years back. 

"If Not For You" by Eli Cook

Week 4: June 28: One more from High-Dollar Gospel.  I do need to thank Jill Kettles for helping me to get Eli Cook to Nashville for the Residency. 

"The Payoff" by The Coal Men

Week 3: June 21:  I first saw Dave Coleman perform at a show put together by my friend Mark Robinson during Americana week a few years back.  It was a stacked line-up of East Nashville treasures - all of whom have become favorites and many of whom have become friends. The Coal Men will be celebrating 20 years as a band next year.  This is a track from their latest album Pushed to the Side. They are consistently one of my favorite bands, and I am so happy they will be part of this month of music.  Dave Coleman in addition to leading this great band - is an in-demand sideman and a respected producer/engineer. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment