Monday, June 11, 2018

Music City Monday Morning Shuffle - Errol Flynn Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!






While I am still smiling, thinking out last week's kick off to the E2TG 7 Year Anniversary Residency, it is time to shift our attention to this week's show.  And what a show! 

Once again, I going to recommend you get there early - things will kick off around 6:15-6:20 or so with a solo set from an absolute favorite songwriter of mine - Ben de la Cour. His latest album is The High Cost of Living Strange, and if don't have it - well, you need to fix that situation right away. Ben is about to start a big tour of Canada, but he agreed to do Thursday show before leaving. 

Whenever people ask me why I keep doing E2TG after seven years, my answer inevitably is about the incredible music I've heard that I might have missed if I didn't do this blog and the amazing people I have met and gotten to know.  The End Men are the prototypical example of both of those things.  When I first heard their music toward the end of 2011 (the year E2TG started), I was completely blown away. That their is music out there as good as what they were doing that I had  not heard, is my motivation to keep my ears to the ground.  Over the years, as I have gotten to know Matthew Hendershot and Livia Ranalli, they have become two of my favorite people. Badass musicians and all-around great people.  The End Men are based in Brooklyn.  I've seen them twice here in Nashville,  but it has been a few years, and I am so excited to show them off to some of my favorite Nashville friends.

Rounding out the music will be Ted Drozdowski's Psychedelic Circus. If you have never heard psychedelic blues music, you need to witness their set.  If you have seen psychedelic blues but have never seen Ted and his amazing band, you are only partially prepared for what you are going to see and hear.  If you have seen Ted perform, but not seen his latest incarnation of his band, you are still in for surprises and delights.   I have grateful to be able to help Ted celebrate a milestone birthday yesterday, and  the celebration will continue Thursday!

All this, and I will reading a short passage from my novel, The Drift.  I will have copies for sale, and I will try to do a better job of being near the merch table (this is new to me).



It all goes down - at The 5 Spot on Forrest Avenue in East Nashville at 6:00pm. A low, low $5.00 cover.

Meanwhile, we still have the normal course of E2TG business.... it is Monday - the day when we explore some of the best of what Music City (Nashville, Tennessee) has to offer (past and present - including music by current and former Nashville residents that may or may not have been made here in Nashville).


"Down the River" by Amelia White
I was fortunate enough to see Amelia White last week at The 5 Spot. She was backed by the Blue Souvenirs - a particularly superb version of her rotating but always fabulous backing band.  This is a track from her 2002 album that gave the name to her band.  Amelia - you may recall - played last years E2TG Residency - playing the final night with Fuzzqueen from D.C.   

"On Your Way to Heaven" by Julie Christensen and Stone Cupid

I met and first heard Amelia White around the same time that I first heard and met Julie Christensen. Julie is first and foremost and incredible vocalist and a wonderful songwriter. Her background includes time in both the punk and jazz worlds - a part of the seminal proto-Americana/alt-country band Divine Horsemen plus years touring as a featured vocalist with Leonard Cohen. Since arriving in Nashville a few years back, Julie has embraced and been embraced by this community - working with some of the best musicians and songwriters. This is a track from (I think) her last - pre-Nashville album Weeds Like Us.  Her latest album is called A Sad Clown and is worthy of your immediate attention. 

"Love in My Time" by Steve Young

Steve Young is best known for his song "Seven Bridges Road" - cut by The Eagles.  The song was included on Young's debut album Rock Salt and Nails from which this song is taken. The album was released in 1969 and features the talents of Gram Parsons, Gene Clark, James Burton and more.  Young passed away in Nashville in 2016 and was honored with a tribute at the Country Music Hall of Fame. 

"I Couldn't Care Less" by Tommy Womack

I first became aware of Tommy Womack during his stint (which continues periodically) with the Bowling Green based band Government Cheese and the subsequent book he wrote about his experiences in a "non-famous" rock band. Over the years, I have had the wonderful opportunity to see Tommy Womack in various incarnations (solo, with Daddy, and with Government Cheese). Womack is a bitterly and wickedly talented songwriter. This is a track from his 2007 album, There, I Said It!  

"One Final Round" by Jon Byrd

Next, up we have a track from the second of three albums whose names gave rise to the artists' backing bands.  Jon Byrd and Byrd's Auto Parts are staples of the East Nashville community - who have been bringing real, by God, country music to Nashville and the world for years. This is another 2007 release - and I believe Byrd's debut or Nashville debut album. 

"Crazy Heart" by The Cactus Brothers

The Cactus Brothers were a country/bluegrass spin-off of Walk the West, but they went on to achieve greater success than their predecessor band.  This is a song from the self-titled album. This song was featured in the 1992 film Pure Country (staring George Strait). 

"Where Do You Go" (LIVE) by Bunnies

Bunnies were an early Nashville punk band - led by Donna Frost and her brother Tony.  This is a live recording from a 2008 performance - part of that Return to Elliston Square Live album that we keep coming back to. Frost is still active in the Nashville music community.  The video of this track is actually from a 2012 performance by the band. 

"In the Drink" by Tom Mason

Our third - album that gave rise to the band name... Tom Mason is an incredible songwriter. Several years back, he found his calling as the leader of a Pirate Band - The Buccaneers.  I can admit that I was skeptical when people said I needed to check them out.  But these were people whose opinions I respected so I went and was impressed. I have been fan ever since. This album contains several songs which have become staples of the band's set list. And some - like this which appeared on later full-band albums. This one appears on Pirate Party - the latest album by the band - which we featured on E2TG.  

"Song of Silas Green" by Paul Burch

We close out the shuffle with two instrumental tunes. The first from long-time Nashville musician (and fellow WXNA DJ) Paul Burch from his visionary Meridian Rising album.  Silas Green from New Orleans was a travelling variety show that was owned and operated by African Americans from 1904 to the late 1950s. The album is Burch's imagined biography of the great Jimmie Rodgers.

"Errol Flynn" by Tom Mason

And we have a second track from The Blue Buccaneer album - this one an instrumental about the swashbuckling who played pirates and other daring adventurers mostly during the 1930's and 40's.


VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment