Friday, July 13, 2018

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - 1000 Words Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)



It is always fun when talented friends share a bill. Last night, it was Chris Moyse (with Sean Quinn and Erin Nelson in his band), Andrew Adkins, and Smoking Flowers. A fun night of music.

Also, may I just say, I could live with seeing various incarnations of the Collins family every week or so. Last week, it was Justin and the Cosmics, a couple of weeks before that it was Smoking Flowers, and them Smoking Flowers again. Looking forward to the next one.


A friend of mine once described E2TG as wildly inclusive. I like that description. If I hear music that moves me in some way, I want to write about it without concern for what "kind" of music it is. I have nothing but respect for more sharply focused music sites - whether that focus be genre-specific or geographic or whatever.  It's just not what I want to do. The plain fact is that there is way more awesome music than I could ever cover. I know that because I often "discover" a band/artist that I think is awesome - and then discover that they have been awesome for years.

From day one of E2TG, I knew I could not be a comprehensive source of everything worthwhile that is new. The fact is - even with the wildly diverse song selections I present - it is amazing how connections keep happening all the time.

Onward!  We have another diverse selection of music from all over the world today.  Let' shuffle!


"Oh California" by Lobelia

First up, we have a track from Lobelia's album Love or Something Like It. Lobelia is an American born singer-songwriter living in Birmingham, England.  Connections - I noticed that a couple of Nashville singer-songwriters I know are mutual friends. Also, I read that Lobelia started a songwriters night which made me think about some Nashville songwriters who are very supportive of other writers. 

"Give It To Me Now" by Big Shoes

It is kind of funny. I have never thought of myself as a blues fan, but when I think back - I have enjoyed the blues - getting interested in Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf, and others during the late 80s and early 90s when I was hungrily listening to as much music as I could. I remember a year or so into E2TG when a publicist contacted me about an album saying, "It may be too blues for your site". I remember taking that as a challenge.  The album was Mark Robinson's Have Axe, Will Groove and the publicist was my now radio partner Sue Havlish.  Thanks, in part, to connections I made through Mark and Sue, I have a pretty healthy supply of blues music of all stripes and kinds. A long way to go to say that Big Shoes came to be as a result of one of those connections.  This band is made up of talented and in-demand musicians who have played with a variety of well-known artists. Their name is a take-off of  Little Feat.  Big Shoes started as a bit of tribute band to Little Feat - but they have grown to be a great band in their own right.  Their latest album is Step On It.  

"XO" by The Elation

Among the "wildly diverse" music that most easily catches my ear, I have always had a soft spot for catchy, energetic pop music. I think I came of age at a time when "pop music" was often looked down upon. And while that term (which like many music genre-labels) has been rendered obsolete and meaningless by misuse and overuse, a great pop song is something I never tire of hearing.   The Elation - from Cork, Ireland - make great pop music.  This is a single from their latest album Clickbait. 

"Forbidden Love" by Yvette Landry and The Jukes

Next up, we have another track from the awesome, forth coming album by Yvette Landry and the Jukes - Louisiana Lovin' - which features Roddie Romero. As I have mentioned before, this music is in my blood. I was born in Tennessee, but both my parents were born in Louisiana, and I still have a lot of family spread across the southern part of the state. The video playlist includes a song by Dale and Grace and marked the beginning of Romero and Landry working together. The album is a tribute to Louisiana Juke joings. 

"Alcorn Queen" by Voice of Addiction

Moving from Louisiana roots music to punk rock from Chicago.  Voice of Addiction were the subject of the recently released film Punk Band. Their latest album is called the Lost Art of Empathy. 

"Another Head" by The Zealots

More music from North Carolina band, The Zealots from Jawbone. The Zealots band leader George Terry McDonald will be in Nashville next week to record and will be playing a show. 

"World of Pain" by Moonshine Booze

I have been fortunate to be connected to several great bands from Italy during my time writing E2TG.  One of the latest and one my favorites is Moonshine Booze and their album Desert Road. Highly inventive and fun music that melds many different influences in a wonderful way. 

"One of Many" by Bill Eberle

After some world travels, we return to Nashville with two of my favorite songwriters - both of whom can go from introspection to rocking with seeming ease.  I was fortunate enough to get an early listen to Bill Eberle's forthcoming Soft Light. Still waiting on a release date, we may make it through this album before it comes out but then we can feature it again. 

"Life I Believe" by Jon Worthy

For the second day in a row, we have a track from the latest release by Jon Worth - Only a Dream.  A great song to close out the week here at E2TG!


VIDEO PLAYLIST




No comments:

Post a Comment