Friday, September 7, 2018

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle- Big Damn Baby Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)






I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - July2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018
E2TG June 2018
E2TG July 2018
E2TG August 2018 (coming soon!)



Well, it's the end of another, albeit short, week of work.  Heading into the weekend (aka the calm before the American Fest storm).  My final bit of advice for anyone coming to AMA for the best time is to pace yourself. Also, if there is something you REALLY want to see at a smaller venue like The Basement or Station Inn (for example) - than plan to get to that venue early and stick it out. Otherwise, there is a good chance you won't get in - especially if it is a really popular artist (or there is a really popular artist after the show you want to see). Have fun, hit up the parties, and say hello if you see me around.

We close with our usual Featured Friday shuffle. A few first listens today. Let's shuffle!


"Goodbye Brushy Mountain" by Nathan Bell

Singer-songwriter Nathan Bell who is based out of Signal Mountain, Tennessee has two new albums- one is out the other will be soon (if it's not).  This is a track from his recently released live album called Er Gwaetha Peb a Phopeth and was recorded at a show in Wales during a tour supporting his last album (which we featured) called Love>Fear: 24 Hours in Traitorsville - from which this song is taken.  Here's the deal - as E2TG sees it - at a time when the truth is hard to come by (and when you have the so-called president telling us (well his followers - let's face it he isn't talking to most of the American people) that the "Truth isn't always the truth), that is when truth-tellers are most in demand. Nathan Bell is a truth-teller. Whether a particular song is personal or political or about the last inmate on death row at the oldest prison in the state (like this one) - Nathan Bell tells the truth. He also writes wonderful songs that often give me goosebumps.  

"Talking Late" by Nick Eddowes

Nick Eddowes is am indie-pop singer-songwriter based in Lima, Peru who contacted me directly. I liked this song, so I added to my playlist, and it popped up in the shuffle today. He released his debut album in 2015 - which he recorded while working in an exchange program in New York - when he was about 20 years old. 

"The Gambler" by Bashful Hips

I mentioned truth-tellers in relation to Nathan Bell. Fortunately, truth-telling is not limited to one style of music. There are truth-tellers making music today in all variety of genres and styles. I have been featuring music by Bashful Hips (whose music often intersects with alternative hip-hop but which for me is hard to define) for some time. As I have previously mentioned, his most recent release called People. Nature. Death. is the best he has released. I always enjoyed his music, but for some reason here, I really connected with his songs for the first time. And, I think he is a truth-teller - generally on more of person note than political - but sometimes the person is political and vice-versa so who knows. The songs on this album are about People and Nature and Death. 

"bloodvoice (a violent choir)" by We are Parasols

For the second time this week, we have a track from Inertia by Portland, OR/Atlanta, GA industrialgaze band We Are Parasols.  This is beautiful, brutal music - as the title suggests. Great stuff. 

"Gunz 4 Hire" by Paul Maged

Next up, we have a track from The Glass River by New York City based alternative rock singer-songwriter Paul Maged.  Speaking of truth-telling - on this song, Maged takes on the subject that needs to be talked about often and loudly. 

"Stay Awhile" by Don Gallardo

Next, we have another track from Still Here - from one of my favorite songwriters and people, Don Gallardo. Gallardo writes songs that immediately sound familiar.  I am hoping to catch him as I make my rounds during Americana Fest next week. 


"Molly Had a Baby (For Molly, Don and Dylan)" by Nathan Bell

So, Nathan Bell bookends this shuffle. This is a track from the soon to be released album Love Bones and Stars, Love's Bones and Stars.  My first listen to this new album brought on the aforementioned goosebumps.  I haven't had a chance to make it all the the way through yet, but I can already tell it's going to be one of my favorites of the year. We will be featuring more from both new albums soon. No video yet for this one, but we have an older song to take it's place in the video playlist directly below. 



VIDEO PLAYLIST






No comments:

Post a Comment