Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - Mayhem and Maidens Mix




Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)






I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - Junly2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018

E2TG June 2018 NEW!
E2TG July 2018 NEW!



As much as I hate to miss a Music City Monday, it was good to have a day off. I spent yesterday recovering from my Sunday at Muddy Roots Festival. This was my first time at this festival, and I am grateful to Smoky White Devils and Richie Owens for helping me get there. 

I had a wonderful experience.  Music performances from Smoky White Devils (who rule hard!), Sarah Shook and the Disarmers, Dexateens, Joshua Black Wilkins, The Dead Boys, L.A. Witch, Meat Puppets, and X - plus a few more I heard partial sets from. Also, great hanging with the WXNA contingency and the Smoky White Devil folks. Wonderful food. And meeting interesting people who come to Muddy Roots from all over the country.

Speaking of WXNA - there are just a couple days left to vote for WXNA as Best Radio in the Best of Nashville 2018 Readers Poll - at the Nashville Scene. You must vote in 25 categories for your votes to count.  Best Radio Station is located in the Media and Politics section.

Time to jump back into the shuffle with a Trending Shuffle.  We have some cool first listens and the return of some favorites.  I also have some new music I still need to add to the playlist. This year of great music rolls on!

"Soulsong" by Autumn

We start things off for the day and the week with the first of two tracks from the recently release album Chandelier by Minneapolis based post-punk band Autumn who recently completed a  North American tour. The band formed in 1994 - they took an extended hiatus after releasing two albums.  Chandelier is their third studio album. A great start to this eclectic shuffle. 

"Hudson County" by Ferentz and the Felons

Next up, we have a first listen to the title track from the new EP from New Jersey based Ferentz and the Felons - whose songs come from the life experiences of front man Zak Ferentz. This song was powerful and really caught my ear. 

"Daddy Daddy" by Yvette Landry and the Jukes

Next. we head down south to Louisinan for some "Louisiana Lovin'" from Yvette Landry and the Jukes (which features Roddy Romero) with their hot cover of the Ruth Brown song - written by Louisiana native Rudy Toombs. This is the first of two tracks from Landry form her Louisiana Lovin' album.

"Cold Black Line" by Ashleigh Flynn and the Riveters

I was so excited to get some new music from Ashleigh Flynn, and this album with her band The Riveters does not disappoint. I have been digging the whole album, and I love this track. I am looking forward to seeing Ashleigh in Nashville during AMA in a just over a week... oh my!

"The Maiden's Child" by Autumn

Next, we have our second track from Chandeliers by Autumn.  This band has a unique sound, and I am enjoying getting to know their music. 

"Structures and Behavior (Group Dynamics)" by The Mayhem Lecture Series

Next up, we have our first listen to an EP that has been lingering in my new music playlist for quite a bit of time.  It is one of the more unique recordings we have had the chance to feature.  The Mayhem Lecture Series is a project of Dave Wesley - who is from Minnesota and based in Portugal. The tracks feature found sounds, field recordings and more - it is experimental music at its most experimental - but I found it so riveting that I could not stop listening or focusing on the snippets and edits. 

"My Last Date with You" by Yvette Landry and the Jukes

Our second track of the day from Louisiana Lovin' is a song originally recorded by Skeeter Davis - and written by Davis, Floyd Kramer, and Boudeleaux Bryant.  Yvette Landry's latest release is a tribute to the Louisiana juke joints that are an important part of the rich cultural landscape of the state of Louisiana. 

"hush (Piano Version)" by We Are Parasols

Next up, we have a lovely song from the Inertia album by Portland based darkwave band We are Parasols.  We have been featuring this album for some time, and I am always happy when a track from this album comes up in the shuffle. 

"A Tout Jamais (Pour Eva)" by Rich Krueger

We close things out with a first listen to NowThen from the forthcoming (October 26) album by singer-songwriter Rich Krueger. The album features appearances by Gary Lucas (Captain Beefheart's band), Robbie Fulks, John Fulbright and more.  This was truly my first listen, and this song blew me away.  I cannot wait to listen and write about the rest of the album.  

VIDEO PLAYLIST


2 comments: