Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - Wimpy Whine Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)






I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - July2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018
E2TG June 2018
E2TG July 2018
E2TG August 2018 (coming soon!)



Well, I guess Americana Fest is officially and unofficially underway.  Had a blast last night, emceeing a show at Radio Cafe with the always delightful Amelia White and her Blue Souvenirs (Sergio Webb, Parker Hawkins, and Justin Amaral - plus Dave Coleman sitting in for a few songs, Mark Huff - who I think is sounding the best I have ever heard him lately. His great band including the twin guitar attack for Dave Coleman and Braden Land. I've been a fan of Dave Coleman for years. I've only recently "discovered" Braden Land - but I have been impressed.  I don't know and didn't catch the name of Huff's rhythm section, but they were great.

In addition, the show featured two U.K. up and comers. Robbie Kavanagh and Demi Marriner. who were both wonderful. They have several dates during Americana Fest, and I'm hoping to catch them again.  This show met two of my criteria for my hopes for AMA 2018 - I heard new music, and I saw some out of town friends. I am grateful beyond words for Amelia White and Mark Huff for letting me be a part of this event.

After that show, I headed to The Basement East to join the Better Together show already in progress.  This was my fourth year in a row attending this event - which somehow manages to top itself. Even though I missed several things/people I would have loved to have seen, the time I was there was worthwhile.  I got to hang with some out of town friends, meet some people - including Amilia K. Spicer whose music we have featured here. And Great Music - as usual - Chuck Mead and his Grassy Knoll Boys - stretch the definition of Americana to its breaking point - backing guests like Drivin' n Cryin' doing The Clash, Steve Poltz doing "Sympathy for the Devil", Allen Thompson doing "Get Up, Stand Up", and Mead himself doing "Peace Love & Understanding".  But the musical highlight was Aaron Lee Tasjan - looking fabulous by the way - doing a solid rendition of Helen Reddy's "I Am Woman". The crowd was initially stunned but then totally into it. 

Whiskey Wolves of the West closed the night with lots of guests and more great music.  Plus, the guy who plays Blaze Foley in the new movie did a couple of great songs backed by the one and only Charlie Sexton.

More to come.  By the way, this will likely be the last shuffle of the week, I am taking the rest of the week off for AMA, but look for some special posts. Tomorrow, I will tell you all about some of the great stuff going on this weekend - specifically we have some details about the all day party going on at Dee's Saturday - by our friends at Magnolia Road.

Meanwhile, we have a "Wild Wednesday" shuffle - so let's get wild!


"False Friend" by The Room in the Wood

First up, we have one from our "New Music" playlist - Liverpool band The Room in the Wood from their self titled release. Paul Cavanagh and Dave Jackson first played together in an 80s post punk band The Room. They are back together with this all-new original project that defies genre definition.  It's what I like to call good music.  

"Nothing" by Dog Without Warning

Dog Without Warning are one of several bands I first heard thanks to the now defunct on-line music festival Couch by Couchwest. This Bay Area band - also defy being put in a genre-defined box. Their music has moved from a bit electronic alternative rock to a more rootsy sound. The hallmarks of Dog Without Warning are great songs and intelligent lyrics. This is a track from Faith in Knots: 7 Year Itch - which is a 2016 rerecording of the band's first album.  

"Don't It Make You Wanna Sing the Blues" by Eric Andersen (feat. The Spoonful of Blues Band)

We continue through our survey of The Essential Eric Andersen.  This is a track originally from his 2007 album Blue Rain that features Norwegian band Spoonful of Blues).  Great song and this compilation has made me a huge Eric Andersen fan. 

"Slow the Devil" by Robyn Cage

Next, we have a relatively new (this year) single from Utah based alt/pop singer-songwriter Robyn Cage.  Pretty cool stuff. 

"Empress of Pop" by Insane Jane

Next, we go back to the Green Little Pill album by late 80s/early 90s Atlanta rock band Insane Jane.  This album has been a near constant favorite of mind since my friend Ron introduced me to it back in the day. The song is a not so subtle dig at a certain pop star of that time. Listen and you might figure out who it is - although I could not find a video specially of this track - I found a clip of a live show. 

"Feel" by Bombay Bicycle Club

Several years back, the radio show World Cafe - opened up their archives are released  a hundred or so live performances in MP3.  This is one of those - from this London based indie pop band. It was a single from their 2014 album So Long, See You Tomorrow. 

"I Hate My Town" by Discount Ravioli

Going WAY BACK to the first release by Discount Ravioli - called Robin Schultz and the 21 Prayers - which was recorded on Independence Day 2015 -in a tent. 

"Prove It To You" by  Golden State Lone Star Blues Revue

And we close out with another track from the all-star blues band made up of players from Texas and California. The band feature Mark Hummel, Anson Funderburgh and more including R.W. Grisby of Red's Blues - who we have featured here. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment