Friday, October 26, 2018

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - French Tabloid Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)

If you have read The Drift, please consider writing a review on Amazon. If you haven't read it, you can get your own copy through Amazon or if you are in Nashville, you can get them from me.







I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - July2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018
E2TG June 2018
E2TG July 2018
E2TG August 2018 
(coming soon!)
E2TG September 2018  (coming soon!)

SAVE THE DATE!!!!!  Thursday, November 15, 2018 - We have a pretty cool event in the works.  More to come! I can tell you this isn't really an E2TG event.  It is connected to my novel, The Drift, and we have some super cool guests lined up.  Announcement soon!


First off, I am saddened by the news of the untimely passing of Tony Joe White. I say untimely because at 75, he was still making great music. I am so glad, I had the opportunity to see him last year during Americana Fest. His music will live on. My thoughts are with his family and with those who knew him personally.

This has been a rough week in many respects, and it ends with a dreary day in Nashville. "I believe it's raining all over the world..."  But also, a ray of hope.

Another reminder: If you are eligible and registered to vote, do so - early voting is still going on in many places and Election Day is just days away.  If you are eligible to vote, but did not register, then ask yourself why and think hard about it.  You may feel like your vote doesn't matter, but the fact is- if enough people decide to vote, it can make a difference.

At press time, I am hearing that a suspect in the recent bombings has been apprehended. I am hoping this phase of violence is over, but major changes are needed to stem a dangerous time in our nations history.

It is Friday, and we dive into our "New Music" Playlist once again. As typical for E2TG, we have a pretty wildly diverse set of songs from all over the globe. Sit back and enjoy.


"Before the Devil Steals Your Soul" by Blue Largo

We start with the title track from the recently released album by California blues band Blue Largo. The album is out now, so we finally have a video for the actual song to include in our Video playlist. Great stuff by a great band that I am glad to have recently "discovered".
"Silhouette" by Tombstones in Their Eyes
Up next, we have our first listen to Nothing Here by L.A. psych rock band Tombstones in Their Eyes. This was the lead track from the 3 song EP which was released back in August. With a huge sound, this kind of dark, heavy music fit the mood of my morning commute.  

"Jesus of Gary, Indiana" by Nathan Bell

Next up, we have Nathan Bell - one of my favorite songwriters - doing what he does so well - weaving a story filled with people and images that are real. This is from his recently released live album Er Gwaetha Pawb a Phopeth - which was recorded in Wales. The song was originally included on Bell's 2015 album, I Don't Do This for Love, I Do This for Love (Working and Hanging On in America).  As this song was playing, I drove by a construction site with the name "Bell" in big letters on the fence. It somehow seemed appropriate in ways I can't really explain.  

"Shadow Girl 2" by Autumn

The more I hear, the more I dig Chandelier by Minneapolis' Autumn. The band formed in 1994. The album is a result of the band's reconnecting with William Faith - who produced their debut album. The original songs have been developed by the band over years. This is a great sounding melodic, dark pop record. I was not familiar with this band before hearing this new release, but I am a fan now. 

"French" by Rotten Hill Gang

Next up, some "Rap and Roll" from London.  Rotten Hill Gang features former members of BAD II, Transvision Vamp, and the daughter of Sex Pistol Paul Cook. Combining hip hop with live instruments. Their album is called Teach Peace. It is powerful, funky music for our times. 

"In the Tabloids" by Danny Sandock
From Throwin' Me For a Loop - Our friend, California singer-songwriter Danny Sandock takes a humorous turn with a song about this notorious rags often found in checkout lines and often read while "taking a crap".  Sandock's music is straight ahead and to the point. It's no frills honest to goodness rock and roll. 

"The Artisan" by Jim Wyly
And we close things out with our second listen and the title track to the debut solo album by long time Austin, Texas favorite Jim Wyly.  This song has an epic quality to it. It speaks to the people who put their whole selves into the things they create - poems, songs, buildings, thoughts, and more. A great way to close out this week of music.  

VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment