Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - Elusive Waltz Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

All of this happened a long time ago when the world was a very different place. Of course, none of us knew that at the time.
(From The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres) Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)






I am continuing to work on my Spotify playlists for E2TG.  So far, I have completed seven - January - July2018.  These are meant to be a cross-section of music I featured during those months - not necessarily music released in those months.   If you are interested, you can check out the playlists (links below)  and follow my personal profile to find out when new playlists are created.

E2TG January 2018
E2TG February 2018
E2TG March 2018
E2TG April 2018 
E2TG May 2018
E2TG June 2018
E2TG July 2018
E2TG August 2018 
(coming soon!)

E2TG September 2018  (coming soon!)


Some thoughts:  At a certain point, you realize that things will not/cannot ever go back to the way things used to be. This is true in our individual lives and as a society. It is an existential truth, but often a slow, gradual realization.  There are many reasons that this is always, ultimately the truth. One being that often things never really were the "way they used to be".  Our perception of the past is clouded by nostalgia and selective memory and other filters that obscure. On a national or societal scale, what I am saying may be seen as a criticism of conservatism or an argument for progressive philosophies. And, I am fine with that, but my thoughts today are more on a personal nature. Remembering what ones childhood was like or even what the music scene in Nashville was like twenty, ten, five, or even two years ago.

Since this is a music blog, I will stick with the last example for now. Looking at Nashville's music scenes/communities, my perspective is unique. Nashville has seen incredible changes over even the last four years - since this current phase of my life began. What is difficult for me is determining where it is that the scene has changed (and I use scene in a neutral sense not - as some use it - in a derogatory sense) and how it is that I have changed or my perspective has changed. My perception is that there are more shows and more venues for the types of music I like to go see. My perception is that two years ago, when I went to see friends play music, other music friends were often hanging around more than happens now, and conflicting shows were rarer. But is that perception accurate, or is it that I know more people and thus have more conflicts or is it that my core group of friends are busier and more scattered. 

The bottom line is that it is a waste of my energy to try to recreate or recapture the feel of the scene of four years ago from my perspective. My time and energy are better spent finding my place in the present and experiencing it to the fullest extent possible.

Just some thoughts on a dreary Tuesday in early October - as the world spins on - oblivious to the chaos in the world and in my own heart and mind....

It's Tuesday - the day we dig into the "New Music" playlist and see what the shuffle brings up to tell us what is "trending" as of today.

"Elusive Love" by The Pull of Autumn

The Pull of Autumn starts things off with a track from their self-titled debut EP.  This is a supergroup of sorts. The band, based in Boston, features members of early British new wave band Fashion, Rhode Island band Johanna's House of Glamour, and Fred Abong (Belly/Throwing Muses).  You may recall, we featured some of Abong's music previously. I am really digging the sound of this album. 

"Waltz (Terpsichore)" by Rich Krueger

Next up, we have a fairly epic bit of magic from Chicago singer/songwriter Rich Krueger from his forthcoming album, NOWThen which is due out October 26.  Krueger.  This beautiful and other-worldly song carried me away during my morning drive. Terpsichore in Greek mythology is one of the nine muses and the goddess of dance and chorus. I got to meet Rich Krueger during Americana fest. He is an interesting character. A clinical neonatologist  by profession, he somehow manages to make music in his spare time (and he makes wonderful music).  He was the 2018 Grassy Hilll Kerrville New Folk award winner this year.  NOWThen follows his previous album Life Ain't That Long which was released less than a year ago. The new album is an all-star affair which features appearances by Robbie Fulks, John Fulbright, Gary Lucas (of Captain Beefheart), plus members of Iron and Wine, NRBQ, and even a cast member of The Colbert Report. 

"Spanish Silver" by Tim Henderson

Next up, we have another track from Volume 1 of the Legacy collection by the late Texas songwriter Tim Henderson.  Volume 1 is subtitled "Gone to Texas". 

"If We're Feelin' It We're Stealin' It" by Rotten Hill Gang
"Fatman Funkin'" by Rotten Hill Gang

Next up, a twofer from London hip-hop collective Rotten Hill Gang - which features members of BAD II (Big Audio Dynamite), Transvision Vamp, the daughter of Sex Pistols Paul Cook, and more. The music is explosive and accessible and fun. 

"Cinematik" by Phantoms vs Fire

Next up, from the album Swim which came out very early in 2018.  Phantoms vs Fire is a solo project of Thiago C. Desant - who was born in Brazil but is based in Italy.  We have been covering this album all year, and I am still digging it.

"Zone" by The Search

Swedish band The Search are up next with this slice of heaven from their latest album A Wave from the Sidelines.  The album sounds like a lost classic from the 1980's  This new release comes 15 years after the release of the band's debut. 

"Realization" by Cup

And finally, we close with some hard rock from the first of two albums in our "new music" playlist from Brooklyn band, Cup.  One of my favorite "discoveries" of 2018. This is from the album Hiccup.  Their latest album is called Jitter Visions.


VIDEO PLAYLIST




No comments:

Post a Comment