Monday, December 31, 2018

2018 E2TG Earie Awards - # 10 - Recap October 2018



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available


I  hope everyone is having a good holiday season or at least making it through,,,,

Best laid plans... well, I had timed it out so that I could recap January through November - one month at a time to end on my last day of work for the year, which was December 21.  Unfortunately, in between I had a couple of days where I didn't have time to finish and post my shuffle.  Meanwhile, my holiday has flown by and now here we are on the last day of the year.  So, let me see what I can do.

Today's shuffle - which I listened to back on the 20th is from October 2018.

November 2018 recap should follow shortly, if all goes as planned - which it rarely does.


"Totally Lonely" by Justin and the Cosmics

Justin Collins and his band the Cosmics return to the shuffle having already picked up a well-deserved Earie Award.  Their album PERF was one of my favorites for the year. I hate that I missed their show the other night, but here's to many more in 2019.

"If We're Feelin' It We're Stealin' It" by Rotten Hill Gang

Rotten Hill Gang is a London based collective that features former members of B.A.D. II (the second iteration of Big Audio Dynamite - Mick Jones post-Clash band.  Rotten Hill Gang's music features elements of rock, rap, and more. One of their tag lines is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Collaboration is a keyword for this group. Their album is called Teach Peace - which is a great thing in and of itself. I am giving them the Working Together Earie for 2018.

"143" by Caroline Cotter

Caroline Cotter is a singer-songwriter from Portland, Maine with some ties to Nashville. I recently got to see her live at $2 Tuesday. Her album, Home on the River, was a favorite of 2018. Cotter's music is filled with peace and freedom. It is rooted in her background and influenced by her journeys. I am giving Caroline Cotter the "Wanderlust" award for 2018.

"Ready for Anything" by George Trouble

2018 has afforded me the opportunity to get to know George Terry McDonald a little better. He played the first ever official E2TG show, but I didn't get much of a chance to talk to him that night. He has a colorful history from his beginnings in North Carolina to his time in New York - where he experienced both the music and the art communities. Back in North Carolina, he continues to focus both on music and visual arts and is writing a book about his experiences in New York and the artists he met.  We previously gave an Earie to his band The Zealots. How about we give one to his solo effort under the name George Trouble. The 2018 "Good Kind of Trouble" award goes to George Trouble.

"Technocrats" by Rodney Cromwell

So, I have to admit, the first time I heard the name Rodney Cromwell, I immediately thought of Rodney Crowell. Hey, I'm in Nashville!  Turns out, though Rodney Cromwell isn't even the artist's name. It is the name of a solo project by Adam Cresswell (Saloon, Arthur and Martha). He plays a unique style of electronic music (drawing on the early influences of that style of music). Rodney's English Disco is the second release. His first Age of Anxiety was more personal - this album deals with current political and social issues. I have been digging his music quite a bit, and it doesn't remind me at all of the other Rodney. Still in the spirit of my oddly named Earie awards, I am giving Rodney Cromwell the "Note the 'm'" Award.


"No Memory" by Klammer

I came of age musically in the post-punk era. Klammer - who are from Leeds - draws inspiration from that era of music - mixing in brooding dark pop to make a modern and unique style of music. Their third album, You Have Been Processed, was my introduction to the band, and it has been a favorite. I am giving them the "Arose such a Klammer" award for 2018.

"Undo" by Searmanas

Searmanas is the moniker of electronic producer Niabi Aquena - a NYC by way of Virginia. The music is ambient and lovely. Aquena is a classically trained pianist and vocalist. Searmanas - the self-titled album was released over the summer. The "Bringing some class(ical training) to this Joint" award seems appropriate.
"Totality" by Darto

My first introduction to Seattle band Darto was through the solo album by band member Nicholas Merz which we featured this year. I did check out the band at that time. Toward the end of the year, we got hold of Fundamental Slime - the new EP by the band. The band's experimental approach to music utilizes multiple instruments. This latest album takes on issues of ego, power, and nihilism - kind of a soundtrack for our times, I would think. So, why not give them the "Soundtrack for our Times" Award for 2018. Why not, indeed.

"Pipeline Screaming" by Rude Audio

Rude Audio come from South London - where they have put on underground parties and made electronic music. This collective involves live musicians on guitars and keyboards and singers with electronic music with a definite dub sound. Their EP Rude Redux exploded into the shuffle and we tore through it in a hurry. We give them the "Rude is Cool" Award for 2018. 

"Numbers" by DateMonthYear

Coming from New Zealand, DateMonthYear insist they are not a band, but a way of making music in the 21st Century. "Numbers" was a single released in 2017, but which just made its way to the shuffle this year. I have been captivated by their music, and I look forward to hearing much more from them soon. The "Calendar" award for 2018 goes to DateMonthYear.  

"Realization" by Cup

2018 Earie winners Cup are back in the shuffle with another track from Hiccup - the first of two albums from this Brooklyn band we featured in 2018.

"Jealous" by Chris Wilson and The Heresy

I first saw Chris Wilson at the Magnolia Roads event during Americana Fest this year. Thanks to Don Gallardo for making sure I left with a copy of Downfall - the latest release from this singer-songwriter from Indiana. As I have said before, I am always impressed when a musician goes out of their way to turn me on to the music of a fellow musician. Self-promotion is a necessary evil of these times, but selfless promotion is still important.  Oh, I like selfless promotion - so why not give Chris Wilson and the Heresy the "Selfless Promotion Beneficiary" Award for 2018.


VIDEO PLAYLIST





No comments:

Post a Comment