Wednesday, December 19, 2018

2018 E2TG Earie Awards - # 7 - Recap July 2018



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!



HOLIDAY SHOPPING ALERT!!!!: The Drift - A Novel by Joe Wolfe-Mazeres Available at Amazon.com (Kindle edition also available)

Still running a couple of days behind, but we will make it. This is day 7 of the 2018 Earie Awards. Our recap today comes from the balmy month of July 2018. Let's go!


"Sense of Place" by Middlemist Red

In 2018, I was introduced to the music of Middlemist Rose - a psych/neo-psych band from Hungary. Their album Ripple Soul came out in 2016, but we picked up on it ahead of their first ever shows in the U.K.  The band's name comes from the name of the rarest or one of the rarest flowers in the world. So, I'm giving them the "Rarest Flower" Award for 2018.

"Back on Level Ground" by Ten Penny Gypsy

One thing that happened for me in 2018 was finding out about several cool people and some great music coming out of the state of Arkansas. One of those was the duo Ten Penny Gypsy and their self-titled album which I think came out in 2017, but which we just pick up on this year. The album was produced by Anthony Crawford. Crawford is part of Sugarcane Jane. Sugarcane Jane are part of Willie Sugarcapps. Will Kimbrough is also part of Willie Sugarcapps, and Will was the first musician I ever knew personally (or something like that). So, I'm giving Ten Penny Gypsy the "Connections" Award for 2018.

"Crazy in Love" by Patrick Bergin

One blessing of 2018 is the variety of interesting music and people that have come my way. Patrick Bergin is an Irish actor and singer.  As an actor, he is best known for a recent role in a BBC show EastEnders and for his role opposite Julia Roberts in the 1991 film Sleeping with the Enemy. We got hold of a couple of singles from him.  His character in Sleeping with the Enemy was not very nice and his character in the EastEnders is described as villainous, so I'm giving him the "I am Not Who I Play" Award (which I assume to be true).  

"Weighted" by Cordova

There is a Nashville band (that I love) who are popular with many of my friends called Cordovas - so whenever I posted a song by Cordova - I felt compelled to clarify the difference. Cordova is from New Mexico. We have features songs from their record, Runaway Summer. They play really cool hard rock music - part of a welcome trend of hard rock music making it into our playlists. I am going to give Cordova - the "No 's'" Award for 2018.

"Black Woman" by Claudio Conti

2018 was definitely the year that E2TG fully went global. We have featured bands from all over - almost from day one., but this year saw the number of bands and countries represented grow exponentially. We were introduced to singer-songwriter Claudio Conti via his album Garnet Dusk - which was released in 2017, but we didn't connect until this year. Conti is Italian, but Garnet Dusk has a definite American flavor to it - he has spent a significant amount of time in the states. 

"Alcorn Queen" by Voice of Addiction

I sometimes describe myself as a old punker rocker - which may be an overstatement, but punk and post-punk music have always held a special place in my ears. Voice of Addiction are so punk - that they starred in a movie called Punk Band. They don't only play a punk band in the movie, but they are actually a punk band.  Look for them on tour in the Southeast and other places in 2019. I'm giving them the (you guessed it) "Punk Band" Award for 2018.


"Ballad of Whiskey John" (Live) by Tim Henderson
I regret that I didn't know the music or the man Tim Henderson during his lifetime, but I am so glad I got introduced to his music in 2018 through his six  volume Legacy collection.  This great live song comes from Volume One - Gone to Texas.  Henderson won the 1977 Kerrville New Folk award. He was a friend and contemporary of many of the great Texas (and other) songwriters.  The 2018 "Legacy"Award goes to the late Tim Henderson. 

"Another Head" by The Zealots

George Terry McDonald played the very first official E2TG show several years back. I had kind of lost track of him, but gratefully, we reconnected in 2018. We featured two different albums - his solo album under the name George Trouble. And this album Jawbone by his band The Zealots. McDonald has an interesting story and some great songs. I'm giving The Zealots the "Surf's Up"Award - just because.  

"Hurricane (Remix)" by Elouise; Cesar Davila-Irizarry

We have another track from the amazing Transmigration album. This is a remix of the Elouise song Hurricane from their Deep Water album.  Elouise and Cesar Davila- Irizarry have already won a 2018 Earie Award. 

"Forbidden Love" by Yvette Landry and the Jukes; Roddie Romero

Louisiana Lovin' is a homage to Louisiana's juke-joints which features Landry and Romero - backed by some of Louisiana's best musicians. Listening to this music, I was reminded of the stories of my mom lying in bed as a young child - hearing the music drifting in from a nearby juke joint. I'm giving Yvette Landry and the Jukes  the "Music of my People" award for 2018.

"The Fall" by Beth McKee


One of my favorite ways to learn about new music (although I love getting music from all sorts of ways) is when I get a recommendation from a music friends.  Beth McKee came to via Susan and Tim Lee of Bark. Her latest album Dreamwood Acres blew me away.  I also picked up some of her older albums and learned about the collective she leads called Swamp Sistas - which features some great southern women of song.  Shortly after I "met" McKee - she got to join Cyndi Lauper on stage to sing "Girls Just Want to Have Fun".  So many ways I could go in naming her Earie Award, but I am going with the Sista of the Swamp" Award for 2018.


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment