Friday, February 15, 2019

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - Wildman Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Another great night at The 5 Spot - with Jason Ringenberg on the second week of his month-long residency.  I got to thinking about why I enjoyed it so much (because the obvious answer that it was great music).  I think I have a sentimental/nostalgic streak in me, however when it comes to live music, I am generally more interested in seeing a new artist.  To me the worst thing would be to see a band or artist that I have loved for years - powering through a set of songs I know well that are uninspired and when it is clear the artist or band is miserable.  That is the feeling I got when I saw Dylan in 1988.  He did all the classic songs, the band was good, and it was (in my opinion) a horrible show. Contrast to when I saw Dylan a few years back. He played almost exclusively songs from more recent albums that I didn't know very well, he again had a great band, but this time Dylan seemed to be having a blast. And I consider that a great show.

Jason Ringenberg seems to genuinely be having a great time at this residency shows (he said he was multiple times so I tend to believe him). His set was a good mix of songs from his new album, songs from his solo careers, and some classic Scorchers numbers.  He was engaged with the audience, and as a result it was a great evening of music.

Anyway, I have jump into the shuffle now.  It's Featured Friday at E2TG.  I am not going to try to explain my Feature Friday playlist.  All our brand new music is here, plus some previously brand new music from the last year or so, plus some extras.  Well, I guess I did try to explain it.  Anyway, MUSIC!


"Medication" by Spiritualized

Last year, saw the reissue of the 1993 live record Fucked Up Inside by British space rock band Spiritualized - which was originally only available by mail order. This song contains the title in the lyric.  It is a really great song.  

"Beware, Oh Take Care" by Chris Robinson Brotherhood

Next up, we have a 7 plus minute song off of Big Moon Ritual - the debut album by Chris Robinson Brotherhood.  The song was written by Chris Robinson and Neal Casal (who is also a member of The Hard Working Americans).  I received this album as part of a Christmas music exchange.  I am really glad I got it. 

"Keep On Fighting" by The Swagger

Next up, we have one that has been floating around in my phone memory since 2016.  It is from the self-titled EP by UK alt rock band The Swagger. The album was recorded at Konk Studios which was founded by Ray and Dave Davies of The Kinks. The album was produced by Graham Bonnar of Swervedriver and The Brian Jonestown Massacre. 

"You Should Go Catatonic" by Batkhi Dahn

Next up, we have another track from the recently released Hogwash album by Connecticut band Batkhi Dahn.  It's a wonderful album which I highly recommend. What I want to point out today, though, is the Batkhi Dahn video in the playlist below. There are not many Batkhi Dahn videos in existence, so a new one is worth noting. This video is for a new song expected to be on the next record (supposedly to be called Nosebleed Nosebleed Nosebleed).  The video was just published three days ago, and it stars the three Nork brothers. I am not going to describe it but it weird and wonderful.  The song itself is named for my friend Giulia - who happens to be the mother of Discount Ravioli member and visual artist Sam. More specifically the song is about Giulia's house and even more specifically about her porch/deck. 

"Pity Me" by Jackie Lee Cochran

Next, another from the Gonna Make it Alone - Brexit-themed compilation. This song features American rockabilly musician known as Jack the Cat. This song was originally released as a single in 1958.

"She's Like the Sun" by Holygram

Next up, we have another track from Modern Cults - the latest release by German shoegaze/krautrock band Holygram.  So, one night I was driving home from a show I had attended, and I was listening to WXNA.  It was one of those cool, modern shows. Usually, I don't know any of the music on shows like this - but in this case, I happened to hear a track from this release - it made me feel cool.  Seriously though, I have been digging this album. 

"Wildman of the Thicket" by Jim Wyly

We close out the day and the week with another track from The Artisan by Texas singer-songwriter Jim Wyly. At the age of 71, after 40 years being members of bands, he released his debut solo album.  This song is top notch.  A wonderful album. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment