Tuesday, December 3, 2019

E2TG 2019 Recap - Part 2 - Last Supper Mix (Drunk Firefly Remix)



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Looking into the 2020, I want E2TG to better reflect the things happening around music that I find notable and interesting, and I want to be more responsive to submissions that fall outside of the shuffle concept.  Although the shuffle has served me well, at times, I will get a single that I am really interested in writing about but it may take a long time for that one song to come up in a shuffle.

At the same time, it has become necessary to redistribute how I use my time and it is also time for me to look into forging some partnerships to provide more content (dare I use that word?) for the site. That is where I feel I being led as we begin the 10th year of E2TG. I am excited, and I hope you will join me on this new adventure.

First, though, we need to wrap up 2019 and we are doing so by revisiting some of the great music we featured during the year. Today's shuffle overall has a more experimental/alternative feel to it. Let's dig in!


"The Drunk Firefly" by Bonsai Universe (From Too Many Ghosts)

This is an instrumental track from too Many Ghosts, and I think it happened to be the first song from the album which came up on a shuffle. It is a very cool track, but it did not at all prepare me for the rest of the album.  Bonsai Universe is the recording project of Woody Aplanalp.  Woody Aplanalp has toured extensively, playing guitar and collaborating with a diverse array of artists such as Bobby Womack, Lauryn Hill, Nels Cline, Thomas Mapfumo and more.  In 2017 he began working on a project he called Bonsai Universe and in 2018 he released the first album from that project, Moonstream.   Too Many Ghosts - his latest - has ended up being one of my favorites of the year. 

"Love is Alright" by Sasha Bell (From Love is Alright)

"Last Supper" by Brocarde (Single)

"I Can Hear the River" by Trond Svendsen and Tuxedo (From Smalltown Stories)

My dear friend and colleague Rune Letrud of the Norwegian music blog Dust of Daylight is a huge supporter of some of my Nashville musical heroes and friends. Rune is very involved in the music scene in his home of Bergen, Norway, and this year he finally sent me some music from some of his favorite Norwegian artists.  One was Trond Svendsen and Tuxedo.  I have really enjoyed this album. Did you know that a fjord and a river are not the same thing.  Now you do!

"Tell Me" by Tiny Fighter (From Tell Me)

"The Far Side" by M1nk (from Em On En Kay)

"New Sheriff in Town" by Pas Musique (From The Phoenix)

"Cygnets" by Suggested Friends (From Turtle Taxi)



Check out what is left on the #E2TG 2019 Faves Playlist  HERE



VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment