Monday, December 9, 2019

E2TG 2019 Recap - Part 5 - Porchlight Mix (Arcadia Remix)



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook



I am back after an unexpectedly long weekend.  I was under the weather Friday and so I stayed home. 

I did make it out to the 14th Annual Get Behind the Mule: Tom Waits Tribute and Benefit at The 5 Spot on Saturday.  As always, it was an incredible event that raised money to support an organization that has been working to combat the issues of hunger in the Middle  Tennessee for as long as I can remember.  I actually have a 1985 vinyl compilation of local musicians that was done as a benefit for 2nd Harvest. 

This year's tribute featured several of my favorite local artists (like Sally Jaye - backed by Brian Wright and Jon Latham - all two E2TG Artists of the Year, and one member of an E2TG Band of the Year), Laura Rabell, Raygun, Tom Mason, Afton Wolfe, Annie McCue, Ned Hill, Anana Kaye, Kevin Gordon and more!  What a great night!

Back to the recap of 2019.  We still have 114 songs left (after today).  You can get a preview of what is still to come on these recaps by visiting the Spotify Playlist I created.

The list today is a good representation of the diversity of music we have been fortunate enough to feature over the course of 2019.  Some only made one appearance, and some are from albums that we returned to time and again. 

Let' go!







"Slow Goodbye" by Shane Alexander (from a Life Like Ours)

"Arcadia" by Helen America (from Red Sun)

"Broken" by Silver Lake 66 (from Ragged Heart)

I fell in love with the vocal harmonies of Maria Francis and Jeff Overbo of the Portland, Oregon based duo Silver Lake 66.  Ragged Heart quickly climbed into my (still only in my head) list of favorite albums of the year, and it stayed there.  Nice to revisit this album again. (Which for me is at least half of the fun of this recap)

"Till We Meet Again" by Daphne Lee Martin (from Scared Fearless)

In 2016, when The Foresters were in Nashville, Jack Nork told me to check out Daphne Martin who was playing locally that same week.  Unfortunately, I was unable to make it to that show, but as I tend to do, I looked her up, and it turned out, I had already written about her once before on E2TG.  She appeared on a compilation benefit album for Hurricane Sandy relief.  A couple of New Jersey and New York bands I was covering at the time were also on that album.  Fortunately, I finally got to see and meet Martin this year when she swung through town.  I picked up a copy of Scared Fearless that evening, and I got to feature it some here.  Great album and a great person. 

"Porchlight" by Ben Davis Jr. (from Suthernahia)

"What I Deserve" by Where We Sleep (from Experiments in the Dark)

"Stand Up and Crawl" by Junior Cheyne (from Ain't That A Cheyne)

"Join the Dots" by Dragon Welding (from Dragon Welding)

"Disgrace" by Your 33 Black Angels (from Eternities I)

"One Dancing Fool" by HeavyDrunk (from Holywater)

"Schizophrenic Razor" by Dead in 5 (from Automatic Death Machine)


VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment