Thursday, January 9, 2014

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Life if Hard Mix



Things are heating up here in Nashville. It's above freezing and expected to be near 60 on Saturday.  But enough about the weather.

I have a lot of big plans for Ear to the Ground in 2014, but I am going to need some help.  I have a few bullet point requests/offers/informative bits of information (unnecessarily repetitive and redundant in an intentionally purposeful way).

  • I am working on a decorative piece of wall art for personal use.  If you have any spare stickers or other flat promotional art that you'd be willing to send me, hit me up via e-mail (to follow)
  • Last month, I made a joking comment about giving an E2TG prize pack to my 1,000th Twitter Follower.* Then, I got to thinking that it might be cool to put together a prize pack for some promotional reason (still undetermined).  If you have any thing you might be willing to donate - again hit me up via e-mail (to follow)
  • I think it's well past time for Volume II of Ear to the Ground Presents.  I did a compilation download of some of my favorite bands from the blog way back in the spring of 2012 and released it in conjunction with Record Store Day.  Rather than doing direct solicitation, I thought I would through it open.  If you or your band would like to be featured on Ear to the Ground Presents: Volume II - let me know.  You can either let me know the preferred song and/or shoot me an MP3.  I may do some direct solicitation if responses are not sufficient or if some key players are missing.  If it's finished I may release prior to Record Store Day, but I still plan to promote at the event at Grimey's and will provide links if you want to promote however you want.
  • Speaking of Record Store Day at Grimey's.  The store always has a table filled with free promotional items. If anyone wants me to, I can get this stuff to Grimey's to be on the table. Hit me up as we get closer to the date (It's the third Saturday in April by the way).
  • Don't forget, it's a good time to start working on your 2014 CXCW videos.  If you don't know about Couch by Couchwest visit their website for details.  It's a fun time.
  • Finally, I am working on creatively releasing some of my fiction, and I would love some help promoting it.  Details will follow.
E-Mail about any and all of the above to jpwm14@gmail.com. Use the subject line Ear to the Ground.

Let's get to today's shuffle




Today's mix of songs puts our total for the week at just over 100.  I'm always glad to be able to feature so much music.

"Jumprope" by The Gingerlys
"Heavy Bells" by J. Roddy Walston and the Business
"Sarah Beth" by Nightmare and the Cat
"Break it Up" by Grounded
"Doctor Wu" (Steely Dan cover) by The Minutemen
"Jor G" by The Graveyard Kids
"Never Loved You" by Nava Hotel
"thriller" by Mission South
"I Can't Hardly Stand It" by The Cramps
"Escape Velocity" by Slack Armada
"Feel You Now" by The Autumn Defense
"Wither" by The Bright Light Motion
"Do You Want New Wave or Do You Want the Truth?" by The Minutemen
"Life is Hard" (Live 2013) by Darrin Bradbury
"Chemical Friends" by Puppet Rebellion
"Night Rider" by Jonny Corndawg
"Snow Globes" by Rickolus
"All You Know" by Grounded
"Absent Afternoon" by Calexico
"Broken Heart" by Dr. Dog
"House of Mirrors" by Stoney
 
 
Notes:
 
 
The songs by The Gingerlys and The Graveyard Kids are taken from the most recent Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen compilation.  It still amazes me how much great music is on that record.
 
I just heard that J. Roddy Walston and the Business is part of the Coachella line-up announced yesterday afternoon.
 
I'm really digging the new Grounded record.
 
Can't go wrong with The Cramps in the shuffle.  This one is from their album Bad Music for Bad People.
 
We continue our long survey of the classic album Double Nickels on the Dime by The Minutemen.
 
Darrin Bradbury is flat out one of the best pure songwriters around today.  We have two more examples to prove my comment in today's shuffle.
 
Jonny Fritz (aka Jonny Corndawg) released one of the best records of 2013.  This one goes back to before his name change.
 
It's a great set of songs.  Check out the video playlist below which approximates my experience  listening to the shuffle yesterday and today.
 
Video Playlist
 
 







-->

No comments:

Post a Comment