You have before you, the FINAL Ear to the Ground of 2013, so let's blow this thing out!
First order of business: As promised, it is time to unveil our 2013 Band of the Year. As announced, for the first time in E2TG history, the Band of the Year will be selected by me, myself, and I. Back in 2011, I came up with the idea of a Band of the Year, and frankly, I didn't want the pressure/guilt in picking one band over others. So, I created a Readers' Poll, and with a massive last minute push, UK band The Mobbs stormed to a narrow victory over underdogs Ubiquity Machine.
Following the success of that initial poll, I began running Band of the Month polls beginning with December 2011, although initially successful, the concept of pitting bands against each other began to stale. We carried on, and at the end of last year, we had another successfully Band of the Year Readers' Poll wherein Skeletons in the Piano were selected by popular election.
Since that time, I decided to focus on featuring as much new music as I could, and I dropped the Band of the Month and related features. Although I briefly considered another year-end poll, I came to the conclusion that I wasn't willing to give that power away this time.... oh yeah, and the thing about bands working together for their common good....
So.... after all that background and unsolicited explanation, I am very excited to announce the 2013 Ear to the Ground Band of the Year.
The 2013 Band of the Year were selected for the following reasons:
1. They are among the coolest, most bad ass people I've had the good fortune to get to know as the result of writing this blog.
2. They are extremely generous and supportive of other bands and artists.
3. They released on of the best albums of 2013.
4. I got to meet them and see them blaze through an all too brief set back in early Spring.
5. They had a successful tour in the US and in Europe.
6. The followed up their amazing 2013 album with a brand new single which was accompanied by an incredible video that visually depicted their total bad-assery.
7. Because I said so......
The 2013 E2TG Band of the Year is..... THE END MEN from Brooklyn, New York!!!!!!
Congrats kids! Here's to an even better 2014!
Okay, we have unfinished business as we continue to feature some of our favorite music of 2013... let's do it!