Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - In any Language Mix



First off, let me be the first (okay not the first by far) to say that the notion that Nashville is a great town for music is not hype. I don't get out as often as I would like, but it seems like every time I do - amazing things happen.  Now, I don't think I am that lucky a guy (although pretty lucky all things considered) nor do I think my mere presence inspires such awesomeness to occur. Therefore, my conclusion has to be that remarkable, amazing, and awesome music happens all the time in Nashville (East, West, and all points in-between).

Last night, it was an incredible night of music at The Basement.  Nashville people (or anyone who finds themselves in Nashville on a Tuesday night) get yourselves down to The Basement (under Grimey's New and Pre-Loved Music) for New Faces night. Local and in-town artists of the Indie persuasion take the stage. Grimey curates, mans the soundboard... There was so much goodness last night, and I will definitely be back. I posted a bit about it over on Facebook. Miss Shevaughn and Yuma Wray were phenomenal.  They played at least two songs which will be on their next album - set for a spring '14 release - which were both really great.  Fun night...


Today's shuffle commences after the jump...



"Nostalgia" by Dog Without Warning (from Bark.  Seriously, I love this band and this EP. They are CXCW alums, and I was first introduced to their music at this years "event". The band reached out to me when the put out this record, and I fell head over heels for it. The music is a major departure from "Go Girl" which I previously heard and liked. Bark has a surprising folksy, Americanaish, country vibe going. Most importantly, it has great songs with killer hooks.)

"Eight Miles High" by Husker Du (Covering The Byrds. This is from an extended single which also includes the band's classic Makes No Sense at All and a cover of the Mary Tyler Moore theme song. I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said, "What would Husker Du?"  What indeed.)

"Back to You" by Perrin Lamb (a talented alternative/Pop singer/songwriter from here in town.)

"The Shell" by Dr. Fate (Another great song on the Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen Compilation? Seriously?)

"Unforgettable" by Ani DiFranco and Jackie Chan (cover of the song popularized by Nat King Cole - who posthumously recorded a duet of the song with his daughter. Wait a minute!?????  Ani DiFranco and Jackie Chan? That Jackie Chan? Yep.  The results are as one might expect... it's from the When Pigs Fly compilation)

 
Watch today's video Playlist
 
 
 
 
 

-->

No comments:

Post a Comment