Thursday, September 6, 2012

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Arithmetic Mix


Due to circumstance beyond my control, I didn't have to walk up the hill to work today, so I didn't get to listen to my Morning Shuffle.  I decided to do a hypothetical shuffle of some of my favorite songs.

First up.  Canadian singer, songwriter has been active musically since 1967.  His first studio album was released 42 years ago. Our song today is If I Had a Rocket Launcher from 1984's Stealin' Fire.  By the way, during a 2009 trip to Afghanistan to visit Canadian troops including his brother, Cockburn performed this song and was temporarily presented with a real rocket launcher. No sonofabitch died.

 



Next, we have a song which dates from the time of Mr. Cockburn's first album.  The Revolution Will Not Be Televised by the late poet, artist, author Gil Scott-Heron reflects the turmoil of the times and despite some dated references is still relevant today.



Next, we take a one-song break from political posts to feature a song from 1969.  The most famous version was recorded during Johnny Cash's February  1969 performance San Quentin prison.  A Boy Named Sue was Cash's biggest hit on the Pop Charts spending three weeks at #2.





And finally, we have the hip-hop classic from 1982 - The Message by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five (Featuring Melle Mel and Duke Bootee).  "Don't push me 'cause I'm close to the edge..." try not to get that legendary line stuck in your head.  I distinctly remember hearing this song on the radio while on a family trip during the summer of 1982, and it was a transitory experience.  There is a chance it was not the summer of 82 (which would have been very shortly after the song was released), but I know I heard it during a summer family trip.





==================================================================





No comments:

Post a Comment