Friday, September 7, 2012

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - Questionable Mix???

Well, there is nothing questionable about the songs in today's shuffle. Once again, I did not have to walk up the hill into the office, hence I did not actually get to listen to today's shuffle... I decided to hit up my kind of Hall of Fame playlist again today.  Yesterday's shuffle had a decidedly political theme to it.  I'll leave it to you to extract a theme from today's shuffle.  Theme or not, though, it's a truly great mix which will hopefully lead some readers to discover or rediscover some great songs. 

First up is the opening track from Minneapolis post-punk/alt-rock band Soul Asylum's major label debut, Hang Time. Down On Up To Me remains a personal favorite.  I had the good fortune to see Soul Asylum twice in the early 90s.  


 

I can't believe I couldn't find Down on Up to Me on YouTube,  but here is another song from Hang Time:



Next up we have a Traditional American Folk song which was made famous by the iconic Lead Belly in the early part of the 20th Century.  The version of Goodnight, Irene in today's shuffle is by Les Paul (the inventor of the solid body electric guitar) and his then wife and collaborator, Mary Ford.  ""sometimes I take a great notion to jump in the river and drown" 



Here is Deer Tick's version of the  song



I don't know how many time's this song has come up in shuffles since I began writing Ear to the Ground, but don't expect me to stop featuring it anytime soon.  Son of a Preacher Man  by Dusty Springfield from her amazing Dusty in Memphis album.








Next up we have a 1993 cover of a 70s era Village People song, Go West. Pet Shop Boys recorded the song for their 1993 album, Very. We have the Pet Shop Boys version in the shuffle today.

 




Here is the original version


Finally we have another cover, that many people do not know is a cover. Lost Highway which reached my teenaged, punk rock brain via Jason and the Scorchers' version from the 80s.  The song's most famous version (and the one often credited as the original was recorded in 1949 by Hank Williams.  Leon Payne actually wrote and first recorded a year earlier.


 




 

=====================================================================




No comments:

Post a Comment