Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle - Great Day Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Well, it's premier week at E2TG as I unveil my new "programming schedule".

Welcome to debut edition of Trending Tuesday!  Why trending?  Well, for one thing, it starts with the letter "T" which was a requirement in naming this day.  Also, my social media consultants advise me that the term "trending" is er, um... trending these days.

So, what is "Trending Tuesday"?  In some ways it is similar to Featured Friday.  Basically, it is songs/artist that have been fresh on my mind (new - or fairly recent acquisitions/releases), like all "rules", I play fast and loose.  The Trending Tuesday playlist is different than the Featured Friday playlist, but they have a lot of overlap.  Well... enough exposition - here is the first Trending Tuesday Morning Shuffle....

"Shotgun Behind the Door" by Kevin Gordon

Kevin Gordon has been "trending" at E2TG since we got his album Long Gone Time shortly before it was released.  I got to see Kevin backing up Paul Burch recently for weeks one and four of Burch's residency at The 5 Spot.  A little bird tells me Gordon will have his own 5 Spot residency within the next couple of months.  Also, to hear more about Kevin Gordon (including some words about the song featured today), I highly recommend you check out Country Fried Rock's interview which was recorded in Nashville during Americana week and recently released.  You can hear it HERE.

"Der Zerfall Von Backerbsen" by Balu and die Surfgrammeln

Until Balu and die Surfgrammeln became my favorite Austrian surf rock band, I did not know that I was missing having a favorite Austrian surf rock band. I didn't even know that they surfed in Austria????  Seriously, I am digging this music.


"Stop Listen and Love" by The Naddiks

Late last year, our friends from Canberra (Australia) released a single dedicated to Anti-Bullying efforts.  It is a very important subject, and a rocking fun single to boot.  Notice we did the Austria/Australia thing again... please note that the two countries are not the same.... in case you were wondering.

"Be My Good Dream" (Excerpt) by exedra

Another track (or at least an excerpt) from Elemental which is the new album by exedra which is lead by Jeremy Gluck from the UK. Dreamy music... good dreamy music!

"Salto Nel Buio" by Le Folli Arie

In addition to having a favorite Austrian surf rock band, I now also have a favorite Italian prog-pop band.  I have featured this band several times of late.

"Follow Them to Empty Shores/ Inouye" by Smokey The Firebear

After a four song tour of the world, we return stateside with another track from the brand new album by Smokey the Firebear from Connecticut.  The album is called Ohm Atlanta - great experimental, instrumental music.   I am guessing that the second half of this song is named after the late Senator from Hawaii????

"Land Where the Blues Began" by Sara Syms

Another album that has been trending for me since I first heard it, is Sara Syms' album Way Back Home.  I was talking with some friends recently about whether or not the "album" was in danger  - in this age of downloads and streaming and stupid blogs that shuffle songs... (kidding) but I have always maintained that albums are important.  They do not have to be "concept" albums either. Syms' record carries a cohesive sound throughout, and there are some recurring themes.  Certainly, the songs can be heard and work well on their own, but there is also value in listening to the album as a whole piece. This is one of my favorite tracks on the album - one that really sets a mood.
"High on the Plains" (Live) by Leland Sundries

From Live at the Creamery. This is not a "new" album, but one that I have come to know over the last several months.  It is trending here - well because I say it is. 

"It Was a Great Day" by Lori Kelley

We started with a Nashville artist and we end with another.  Lori Kelley recently released an new album, More.  It looks like this song has been in Kelley's repertoire for a few years.  It is a catchy, light song about the importance of making each day count.  


VIDEO PLAYLIST


1 comment: