Friday, October 11, 2013

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - Riff Raff Mix



Well... here I am on a Friday with a lot of ground to cover. So, I am going to riff for a little while... I like riffing. I use to call this kind of writing - Stream of Madness writing... meaning, I just let the words fly, without any inclination to edit in order to mask my insanity....

Let's post a picture and then we will jump into the madness...





It's a great day! Why? Well it is Friday! That would normally be enough, but a couple of cool things to report...

1.  Tonight at The Family Wash - a swell time including a 25 minute preview of a new documentary about musicians, plus poetry and music - including our good friends from Knoxville - Tim Lee 3.  Plus Special guest Amelia White - who we saw back in September at The Five Spot.  Should be a fun time.


2.  Tomorrow - October 12, 2013 Marks the official release date of the self-titled album by my friend, James Crawford.  We've had this one in our playlist for a few week, and as I've reported, this has rapidly become one of my favorite albums on the Fall. We have the album linked in our Webstore which should become active to tomorrow - OR... you can head over to James Crawford's Website and Facebook page.


3.  We have a shuffle to bring you...

"Til I Find You" by The Howlin Brothers (this is from The Sun Studios Session which we nabbed off of Noisetrade but which will be released October 15. Bonus Trivia: In the 1989 Jim Jarmusch film Mystery Train - there is a scene where the characters are outside of Sun Studios, and you can see the apartment building where I lived in the background. The movie was filmed in the Summer of '88 which is when I moved to Memphis. So... Oh, The Howlin Brothers kick serious butt - so check it out.)

"She Shot a Hole in My Soul" by The Box Tops (mmm huh. Yep... and yeah Nashville to Memphis and we stick in Memphis for this Pop-Soul classic )

"Harder" by Nava Hotel  (I keep digging this Nashville band more and more every time I hear them. Back to Nashville ;-))

"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by Devo (from Are We Not Men? We Are Devo... how to you deconstruct a classic song and make it your own?  I don't know ask Devo. By the way, I just some an article link (which I didn't follow) which said that Johnny Lydon almost became the singer for Devo in 1978. I have no idea if that is true or how "almost" it was, but now think about Johnny Rotten singing this song... go!  and as for a Memphis/Nashville connection- um... well, I think the Stones were heavily influenced by Memphis music... whew!)

"There Will Always Be A Way" by The Autumn Defense (The Autumn Defense were one of the highlights of the Americanarama event at Grimey's  - there is your Nashville connection - back in September.  They do the 70sish lush pop harmonies about as good as anybody in the business. That is them in the picture up above the Jump)

Well shoot- that's the end of the Shuffle and I'm out of time... sooooo..... Happy Weekend!

Here is the Daily Video Playlist
 



HERE IS THE E2TG WEBSTORE FOR THE PAST TWO WEEK!
 




-->

No comments:

Post a Comment