Monday, March 26, 2012

Band of the Week: Year 2, Month 4, Week 4: Northbrook Garage








"I don't mind other guys dancing with my girl
That's fine, I know them all pretty well
But I know sometimes I must get out in the light
Better leave her behind with the kids, they're alright
The kids are alright"  - The Who










And yes, the kids are alright....

We were first introduced to  Northbrook Garage by way of their cover of Big Star's Thirteen from this years Couch by Couch West Festival.  In case you missed it, here it is:

The cover was inspired by the band's recent sessions at legendary Ardent Studios in Memphis where Big Star and front man (the late) Alex Chilton recorded (plus many others).  

The most obvious thing you notice about Northbrook Garage is that they are young - like young, young.  I mean, the older I get the older "young" becomes, but Northbrook Garage are in their early to mid teens. But, putting that aside for a minute, because c'mon One Direction are young teens, but the comparisons end there. ***Bloggers Note*** I can honestly say I know absolutely nothing of any substance about One Direction, so this last statement is a huge assumption.  ***End Note***

One can't help but have expectations about what a band of cute kids from the suburbs of Chicago will be and sound like, but this band blows all of those expectations out of the water.  They groove deep and they've got the chops to carry off the music they take on. From their originals to their eclectic and sometimes surprising mix of cover tunes.  They have caught ear of many who know more than me what soulful music is... Read this quote and then watch this video:
“The babies are bringing back soul! Ain’t that something!” - Sharon Jones (of Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings)


You can grab the bands debut single from Amazon - click on the pic below:





Obviously these kids are just starting out, and only time will tell where their musical journey will take them.  For now, us jaded old folks can just sit back and marvel and dig the grooves they're laying down.... I'll end with one final video - a cover of Bob Dylan's Make You Feel my Love:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment