Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - Any Day Now Mix



Good morning from chilly Nashville.  A cold drive and walk into today marvelous sights and sounds, plus a pretty cool random shuffle of the whole sound card....(Update: yeah, yeah, it's not morning any more... the day just kind of jumped on me... *sigh*

Shuffle after the jump:

Ben Semmens, a talented singer-songwriter from Wales was one of our Bands of the Week last year. He recorded his latest album on an island off the coast of Georgia (not the former Soviet Republic). That record is called Outside the Box, but today's song comes from his earlier release called Western Lights.  Our first song in the shuffle today is Prepared.

Here's a link to his latest release
 

And a video of a song from his latest...

And finally to get Western Lights - go here...


The shuffle monster inside my phone's music player decided to grace me with another track from the fantastic The Ghost of John Henry album by Sci-Fi Romance.  Today we have Broken Word which contains the awesome line:

"It's a broken world... But in the cracks there's beauty"
 







I don't make it any secret that the Minutemen were one of my favorite bands of all time, or that Double Nickels on the Dime is one of my favorite albums.  Today we have Theatre is the Life of Me.

Double Nickels is on Amazon MP3 for just $8.99 which represents a savings of over $30 vs. buying all 43 songs separately.

 
Here's a video of Mike Watt discussing Double Nickels...



When I moved to Memphis in 1988, I remember seeing posters all over town for shows by a band called Human Radio.  At that time, I had no clue who or what Human Radio was, but by the time I moved to Nashville in 1991, I knew and coincidentally, around that time, Human Radio decided to move to Nashville.  The band release one amazing album (to my knowledge) - the self titled release from which today's song My First Million is taken.


Here's a video of Me and Elvis from that same record...

 
And finally, let's close out today's shuffle with a song that was first released as a b-side to David Bowie's 1975 single Space OddityVelvet Goldmine was recorded during the Ziggy Stardust sessions and appeared on the 1990 Rycodisc release of that classic album - which is where I came upon it. 

 



__________________________________________________________________








 -->

No comments:

Post a Comment