Friday, January 3, 2014

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - Shoot Out the Lights 2013 Mix



Bang! And with this post, #E2TG closes the door on our extended recap of some of our favorite music of the past 12 months.  The Video Playlist ends up at just over 100 videos. Our Amazon Web Store comes in at 54 items.

Monday - we jump right into 2014 and hit the ground running....

Further ado avoided...


"Heartbeat" by Kopecky Family Band

"Dirty Boys" by David Bowie

"Top of the World" by Don Ryan and the Blank Canvas Movement

"Brick x Brick" by Christopher Paul Stelling

"A Song for Leonard Cohen" by Amanda Shire

A Grimm Interlude
 
As we listened to the latest The Grimm Generation album, The Big Fame in it's entirety in a non-Shuffle mode:
 
"Earthquake, Hurricane, Flood and You"
"The Next Indie Boy"
"Dizzy in my Hips Swinging"
"House Drinks"
"Miller, Don't You Even Care"
"Until Then"
"Quiet (St. Francis)"
"Road to Joy"
"Real Bad Voodoo"
"Wreck of my Bed"
"Eye of Tranquility"
"Bigger Than"
"The Big Fame"
 
End A Grimm Interlude
 
 
"Pawnshops" by Todd Farrell Jr. and the Dirty Birds
 
"Box Cutters" "Wasted and Rollin'" and "Devastate" by Amanda Shires
 
"Diamond Sigh"  "Second Moon" and "I Do Not Will to Know" by Valued Customer
 
 
NOTES:
 
Kopecky Family Band are really a family band and they have been Nashville favorites for several years.  Kids Raising Kids was first released back in 2012, but was released by ATO Records in April and helped to introduce the band to the rest of the world. I keep finding Kopecky Family Band EPs at Goodwill - so thanks to the person with poor musical taste and/or questionable judgment.
 
We couldn't let 2013 get away without posting one more Don Ryan song. We have yet another song queued up for 2014.
 
Christopher Paul Stelling released his awesome album False Cities and toured the world in 2013. My regret is that I missed seeing him when he came through Nashville and played a sold out show at the world famous Bluebird Café (as seen on the ABC series, Nashville)*
 
*if ABC or the producers of Nashville  want to pay me for the plug, they can just shoot me an e-mail and I will happily provide banking information....
 
Amanda Shires released the stunning Down Fell the Doves in 2013, and we offer up four songs from that album even though she doesn't need our help.  She's amazing. I saw her at Americana in 2012 and then again at an all too brief mini-set at Grimey's for Americanarama.
 
As I was listening and writing all of these year-end posts, I kept coming up with superlatives, but I never got around to codifying them. So, suffice it to say, The Big Fame - the highly anticipated album by Connecticut's The Grimm Generation would have been the Most... something.  I couldn't let this year end countdown slip by without a little Grimm music, so I decided to listen to the whole damn album.  The band is one of my all-time favorites and they keep making new music and doing new things, so I fully expect to post much more of their music in 2014.
 
Todd Farrell, Jr. and the Dirty Birds are from right here in Nashville, but it took CXCW and Popa Tunes (again) to turn me on to their music.  This is flat out great music that I want to hear much more of in 2014.
 
Well, I burned through my playlist and still had a few minutes to get to my office this morning.  I could think of no better way to close out this whole she-bang than by listening to the first three songs from Valued Customer's mind-expanding Kalpa album.  There is so much demented genius going on here, that it can be hard for a simple-minded music blogger to keep up. I really just want everyone to experience this album.  Do it!
 
WATCH
 

 
 
SHOP
 

 







-->

No comments:

Post a Comment