Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - Beer into Air Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Ever wonder what would happen if you created a playlist with a wide variety of music from different genres and different eras and then hit shuffle and wrote about the 8-12 songs that came up randomly during your morning commute?   Well, wonder no more, here at Ear to the Ground, we do this just about every week day and an occasional Saturday or Sunday if I am bored...  In fact, we did it today.... here's what happened:

"A Redneck Oughta Be the President" by Mike Thomas

Middle Tennessee songwriter Mike Thomas engages in some non-partisan political speculation...

"You Spin Me 'Round (Like a Record)" by Dead or Alive

Sometimes, the 1980s were like this... just saying...

"Columbus Stockade" by Tigerman WOAH!

Another day, another Tigerman WOAH! song.  This one is about time spent in the state of Georgia.

"Burn.Flicker.Die." by American Aquarium

American Aquarium are one of the best and hardest touring bands out there.  Their new album, Wolves, is out now.  This is the title track from the album that preceded Wolves. I saw them at a packed out show at the Basement on a Monday night of the week between Christmas and New Years.  It was fantastic.

"The Original Miss Jesus" by John Wesley Harding

One of my favorite songs on Why We Fight.  If my memory is correct, I saw him play an early show at an old downtown club called Ace of Clubs around the time this album came out.  If my timeframe is right, I was living in an apartment right next the club (on the other side of the Shelby Street Bridge - before it was a pedestrian bridge).  If all of that is the result of faulty memory, this is still one of my favorite songs from Why We Fight.

"Teach Me (Say It, Don't Spray It)" by Tom Schreck


Always good to have a song in the shuffle from one of my favorite local songwriters.  When local is Nashville, being a favorite local songwriter is a big deal.  Tom Schreck is a big deal.  Get on it.  From his album, Save Your Glory.  The video I included in the video playlist is Tom doing a cover of Billie Jean which I have posted before, but which is worth repeating. 

"Calico Valley" by Susan James

Ear to the Ground first caught up with California singer-songwriter in 2013 with her brilliant Americana album, Driving Toward the Sun.  She has recorded her follow up album called, Sea Glass which will be released June 16.  This is a song from that forthcoming album, which she says is a departure from the previous album and a return to her singer-songwriter roots.  To my mind, the music classic California pop music with maybe a hint of psychedelic influences on some tracks.  I have enjoy the album very much, and this track made a great addition to this morning's shuffle.

"It's Tricky" by Run DMC

What's that you say? Ear to the Ground has been thin on old school hip hop classics?  It can be hard keeping a balance of all the different types of music out there.  Dare I say, it's tricky?  Dare I?  Released in 1986, "It's Tricky" was the last single released from Run DMC's third album, Raising Hell.

"Down Time" by Grumsling         

I absolutely love it when I "discover" innovative new music that combines an original sound with flat out great songs. When the band in question has a cool name and an even cooler avatar, I like it even more.  Grumsling.  Got it?



VIDEO PLAYLIST



     

No comments:

Post a Comment