Thursday, February 18, 2016

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Something Nobody's Ever Seen Mix


Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

There was fog this morning, and for once, it was not all in my head...

Let's shuffle, shall we?

"Judee Was a Punk" by Aaron Lee Tasjan

E2TG is and has long been all about connections.  I try not to overstate it, but rather let the connections express themselves in a variety of ways. Sometimes, something I post - a song or an artist or an album or my reflection about a one of those - will lead me to a deeper connection with someone I know - through a shared experience or emotion.  I have made some wonderful connections due to writing this blog. Big picture, I believe that we are all connected, and that life's big illusion is one of separation, and that our primary purpose in life is to work on breaking through that illusion to find the real. Unexpected reminders of our collective connectedness are the source of some of my greatest joys, 
All this to say, the first time I was made aware of Judee Sill and her tortured life and her beautiful music was through my friends in Valued Customer. Very shortly after reading about Sill on Patrick and Justus' Peacefork blog, I heard Aaron Lee Tasjan singing this song in Nashville at The 5 Spot.  The song and the unexpected connection brought me great joy.  It is an awesome song, and I am glad ALT included it on his latest album, In the Blazes - which is a much buy album - by the way.


"Inertia Fire" by Calming River

We move on with another track from The Ones That We Left Behind by this singer/songwriter from Denmark by way of the UK.

"Central Park" by Brian Wright and The Waco Tragedies

Man oh man, any shuffle that has Aaron Lee Tasjan AND Brian Wright is alright in my book.  From Brian's album Bluebird with the Waco Tragedies. I love this song. Brian Wright's songs speak truth - like all the best music does.

"Bought and Sold" by The Graveyard Kids

The Graveyard Kids were a Brooklyn band and part of the Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen family (which I dig so much). They released their swansong, It's Been a Wonderful Evening, and then called it quits.  This is an awesome song, and I hope some people will look them up and follow rabbit holes to stay up with what the band members and the rest of MCFK are up to in the Big Apple.

"Waiting for the Sun" (Live) by The Jayhawks

Another thing I dig - also related to connectedness - are happy coincidences. Just like I trust in the power of randomness, I also believe in coincidence. Anyway, just yesterday someone posted something about The Jayhawks, and today this song shows up in the shuffle.  This is from that live recording that I grabbed off Noisetrade.  A solo Gary Louris live version of this was included on the Bonus CD of Rainy Day Music - called More Rain.

"Bluebird" by Don Gallardo

ALT, Brian Wright, and Don Gallardo!  A good day for Nashville music. Another coincidence, this song shares a title with the Brian Wright album from which today's posted song was taken. Don Gallardo has jumped into my consciousness over the past several months, and I cannot wait to her is brand new album. This is from his 2012 album, The Art of Troublesome Times and features Jill Andrews.

"Laurel Canyon" by The Church

Yet another coincidence!  Yesterday, I heard that The Church will be making a rare Nashville appearance in April at the Mercy Lounge.  I have been a fan of The Church since the early 80s - when I heard "Electric Lash" on a compilation that was released on cassette inside a field rations can.  Laurel Canyon has a storied musical history dating back to the sixties and seventies. I once wrote a short story with a character named Laurel who another character called "Laurel Canyon", but I'm not sure if that counts as coincidence or is just evidence of my weirdness.  Anyway, the recording I listened to, came from one of those many World CafĂ© Sessions that I downloaded some time ago. The song was on the band's 24th and most recent Studio Album Further/Deeper.

"Down So Low" by Mother Earth

And we close things out with an iconic song with connects with my recent interest in late 60s/early 70s Nashville. Mother Earth formed in San Francisco, but later moved to a farm just outside of Nashville and became an integral part of the burgeoning scene around the West End area.  This song is from the band's debut album Living with Animals and is easily one of the band's best known songs. I got to see Tracy Nelson perform twice last year.

I will close out this post, by encouraging each of you to be open for unexpected moments of connection.  They - like the truth - are out there.
 

 
 
 
 
VIDEO PLAYLIST


              

2 comments:

  1. Pleasurable thank you for your time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Down So Low SO MUCH. And have since my youth. Big thrill to listen to Ms Nelson throw down.

    ReplyDelete