Tuesday, March 8, 2016

E2TG - Video Premiere: Jon Latham (Live at Fort Dakota) - "LA Freeway" (Guy Clark Cover)



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Hey!  It is Tuesday night, I have been catching up on laundry and trying to catch up on e-mail.  My inbox has been flooded with a ton of great music - some of which you will be hearing here on Ear to the Ground, so of which will be coming your way soon.

In the midst of the excitement of scrolling through pages of unopened e-mail (sorry), I got a call from the 2015 E2TG Artist of the Year, Jon Latham.  That is how he is tagged in my phone by the way... "2015 E2TG Artist of the Year, Jon Latham".  He filled me in on a project he has in the works.

Returning to Fort Dakota Studio, Jon has recorded five solo acoustic songs all of which were also recorded on video. The recordings were a reunion of sorts with Fort Dakota's mastermind, Josh Morris who produced Jon's album, Real Bad News.

Look for an EP of those sessions coming your way soon, in the meantime, I am extremely honored to have the opportunity to present the very first video from that session.

When Jon and I talk, we often talk about music. As I have said before, Jon is extremely knowledgeable about a pretty wide variety of music genres - including some bands that I would not expect someone his age to know (thank you Michael Latham).

Inevitably, we talk about songwriters.  Names like John Prine, Steve Earle, and Guy Clark come up quite often.  We have discussed the importance of Guy Clark to much of the best music being played in songwriter rounds around this fair city.

"LA Freeway" has long been one of my favorite Guy Clark songs, and I really like Jon's cover of that song here - recorded at Fort Dakota.

A little trivia:  Steve Earle sang background vocals on Guy Clark's recording of this song from his debut album, Old No. 1.  Steve Earle, as you may recall, is prominently referenced in the opening seconds of  Real Bad News.

Without any further ado: Here is "LA Freeway" by Jon Latham



No comments:

Post a Comment