Monday, August 17, 2015

Monday Morning Music Shuffle - Every Minute Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


So, I'm back after a few days of R&R. It was much needed, and I'm ready to do this thing!

A couple of things, I returned to Nashville on Saturday in time to catch Ted Drozdowski's Scissormen deliver a powerful performance at their album release celebration.  Then, I headed to Bobby's Idle Hour to see Amelia White, Renee Wahl, and Rich McCulley trade wonderful songs for a couple of hours.  After that, my long day caught up with me.

LIVE MUSIC ALERT!!!!!!  I've announced this on Facebook (if you haven't already be sure to give us a "Like" - you can get there via the link up top.  The next "Like" should be number 300 and a surprise is in store for that lucky follower.  Anyway, two days from now or Wednesday August 19, we will be kicking off what I hope will be a long running series of shows.  We will start off at The Building in East Nashville with local favorites Lindsay Ellyn (plus her awesome and well-dressed band) and Russell Thompson (one of my favorite songwriters) plus all the way from North Carolina, we have George Terry McDonald.  It should be a fun night, and I hope if you are nearby that you will come on out.  (Here is the Facebook Event Page).

I think I have mentioned before the role that college radio and specifically (WRVU) played in the development of my musical interests and passion. As you may know, WRVU went off the air a few years back after Vanderbilt sold the license to the local public radio station.  Some of the people who made WRVU what it was and some of the people who loved what it was are in the midst of raising funds for a new Community Radio Station called WXNA.  They have a Kickstarter campaign going and could use some support.  So much of media is in the hands of a few large conglomerates who are "tryin' to anesthetize the way that you feel" (Elvis Costello, Radio Radio).  Community Radio is the voice of the people, and it is a good thing.  If you can support WXNA, you should. Here is the link to the Kickstarter (Give and/or Share this).  Who knows, someday, you may hear me on the radio... but only if you support the station.

On to the shuffle:


"Ribbons" by Paul Zografi

We start off with another track from Nashville's Paul Zografi's album Bright.  Love this album!

"You Could Have Had It All" by Jesse and Noah

Another gorgeous song from Jesse and Noah's album Driven Back. 

"Gotta Serve Somebody" by Amy Black

Amy Black covers some Bob Dylan from her album The Muscle Shoals Sessions.  

"Dogs of Lust" by The The

I have always loved the name The The, and the music, too. This one is from the 1993 album Dusk. 

"Our Love Will Change the World" by Christopher Aaron Slade

Call it a Guilty Pleasure (well Christopher Aaron Slade did...), but I really dig this music.  Fun and naughty and rocking... like music should be...

"I Want to Be You" by The Stone Foxes

The Stone Foxes are from San Francisco.  This song came to me from a Noisetrade SXSW Sampler - which shows how long it has been floating around the playlist.  Their new album Twelve Spells will be released in September.  This song was released as a single back in March. 

"Miss Misery" by Seth Avett and Jessica Lea Mayfield

From World Café: Seth Avett and Jessica Lea Mayfield cover Elliot Smith. 

"Every Minute" by JJ Grey and Mofro

Also from World Café... this one if from their latest album called Ol' Glory which was released earlier this year.


VIDEO PLAYLIST


             

No comments:

Post a Comment