Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Wednesday Morning Music Shuffle - A Czech at the Blue Line Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

I saw a remarkable show at City Winery - Nashville last night.  It was a CD Release show for Darrell Scott's new album which features the songs of the late Ben Bullington.  You can read my review on No Depression here.

On to the shuffle....


"In Between Drinks" by Tim Carroll

My visual interpretation of the awesome song that I get to hear at least once just about every week.

 

"An Arrow in the Gale" by Magnolia Electric Co.

From the 2009 album Josephine.  Jason Molina is very much missed in this world.

"Hit Somebody (The Hockey Song)" by Warren Zevon

A song about the importance of knowing your role and waiting for the right opportunity to rise above it. Or something like that... It's Warren Zevon singing about hockey! What else do you want?

"Sleeping Bag" by Patrick Sweany

Patrick Sweany filled in for Tim Carroll a few weeks back for the Rock and Roll Happy Hour, and he did a mighty fine job.  This is an awesome song from his 2011 album, That Old Southern Drag.  Sweany is from Ohio but now resides in East Nashville.  He was worked with Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys among many others.

"Saint Valentine" by Gregory Alan Isakov

The South African born, American singer-songwriter with a song from his 2013 album The Weatherman.  This came off of a Noisetrade Bonnaroo sampler.

"Glacial Flood" by the transcendents

There is a reason I still check out as much of the music that comes through my e-mail as I can...  This band from New Zealand has rapidly become one of my favorites simply because their songs and music is so amazing.  They seem like descent people, too, and it will be good to know some people if I ever wake up and find myself in New Zealand...

"Love/H8" by The Danbury Lie

Interestingly, I have been reading a book written by someone named Dan Burylie.  I have no idea if the book is connected to this #E2TG favorite, but the cover of the book and the cover of the album (Choose Your Delusion) are identical.  So if the two works are not related there may be a lawsuit in the future...  come to think of it, the title is similar, too... hmm... 
Choose Your Delusion: Stream-of-Consciousness Ramblings from the Mind of Dan Burylie


"Argosvinis Moni" by Imam Baildi

Also from that Noisetrade Bonnaroo sampler.  This is a band from Athens... such a great history of music from  Athens -  B52s, R.E.M.... oh wait, this band is from Athens, Greece.  Never mind.  Anyway, it some cool exotic sounding music to expand your musical vocabulary.

"Roberta Sparrow" by Grumsling

From the EP, A Church, On a Boat, In the Sea.  This highly creative Oakland, California band has captured my attention in short order.  I highly recommend the Philosophy of Time Travel if you want to know where the title of this song came from...

"Tying Ten Knots in the Devils Tail" by Townes Van Zandt

I kind of sort of think that maybe I featured this song before, but it may have been on one of my Facebook posting sprees... which you would know about if you "Liked" by Facebook page (link at the top of this entry).. hint, hint...  either way, it is Townes Van Zandt so even if this is a repost, you know what?  I don't care... the song was written by Gail Gardner.

"Belly of the Beast" by Holy Sheboygan!

I had the wonderful opportunity to see Wisconsin based Holy Sheboygan! last month when they brought their little bus and inventive, upbeat music to Nashville.    They brought everything but the kitchen sink to the stage of Foobar... and it was kind of dark, so I'm not completely sure that there wasn't a kitchen sink.. Cameron Carrus who plays bass for Darrin Bradbury and Tim Carroll among others is a long time member of this band. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment