Thursday, April 5, 2012

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Defying Deification Mix

April 5th, and I've reached the last day of my work week.  It's likely that there will not be a music shuffle tomorrow, but I've got a lot of ground to cover - Coming soon:  Band of the Month Poll for March, Band of the Week for the first week of April, plus tons of work on a project which I hope to be able to announce soon.

To the shuffle:  

My parents were both born in Louisiana, and I have a fair amount (about 3/4) of cajun blood running through my veins.  When I hear the chank-a-chank of the accordian and fiddle, I can't help but tap my toes.


 

Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys - Danser san comprendre/Dancing Without Understanding from their 2011 album Grand Isle. One of the best contemporary practitioners  of Cajun music, Grand Isle pushes this traditional regional folk music into the 20th Century with some elements of modern rock without losing the essence of what they are all about.  Danser san Comprendre/Dancing without Understanding is en excellent introduction to this band.

A video of Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys


Although my mother was born in the heart of Cajun country, my dad was actually born in Metarie - part of the New Orleans Metropolitan Area. I feel a connection to the Crescent City which belies the limited time I've actually spend there. 

 

Dear New Orleans is a live benefit album for Sweet Home New Orleans and the Gulf Restoration Network.  It features a wide range of artists - everyone from My Morning Jacket to the Flobots to Steve Earle. Our track today, is a cover of a Neil Young penned CSN&Y song Ohio performed by R.E.M. bassist, Mike Mills accompanied by the New Orleans trombone band, Bonerama.




Next, we have another cover.  Remember when Thursday's were all about covers here at Ear to the Ground?  Apparently, my shuffle button does... 




Ane Brun was born in Norway, but currently lives in Sweden. She is a singer songwriter who has been actively making music since 1998.  She recently dropped a fine cover Arcade Fire's Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) (spelled Neighbourhood on my download) from the 2004 album Funeral.



=-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------=
Affiliated Links:

Best of Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys Best of Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys
Matching a respect for the tradition with a forward-looking vision, these guys have set the standard for modern Cajun music. Three new ones join La Pointe Aux Pins; Katherine; La Toussaint; La Danse de Mardi Gras; Allons Danser; King Zydeco; The Corner Po

No comments:

Post a Comment