Thursday, July 24, 2014

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Almost Home Mix



It's Thursday.... let's have a shuffle...




“Stand by Me” by Spyder Turner from

I don’t know how I’ve lived these *mumble, mumble* years without having experienced this version of Stand by Me.  But a big thanks to Popa's Tunes via the latest (I think) Feel Bad for You mixtape.

Spyder Turner not only delivers a soulful version of the song made famous by Ben E. King, but he also delivers a spot on homage to a veritable who’s who of 20th Century Soul Music.

“A New Black  (Live and Unplugged)” by Moon Taxi from Acoustic on West 56th/ originally from Mountains Beaches Cities

Nashville’s Moon Taxi have certainly done well for themselves.  The original version of this song was featured in a prominent car commercial.  This a pretty cool unplugged version of the song.

 

“The Apple Blossom Rag” by Josh Ritter from  The Beast in its Tracks

A few months back, I was driving home late at night and I was listening to Public Radio.  I heard this show  called Wits with guests Josh Ritter and Margaret Cho.   There were several funny moments including  skit where early period Michael Stipe was a police detective.  Oh and Josh Ritter closed the show with a version of the Talking Heads’ song Psycho Killer.  Anyway, this is Josh Ritter doing what Josh Ritter does really, really well.

 

“I Shot President McKinley (and I’m gonna do it again and again and again)” by Out of System Transfer from Mama Coco’s Funky Kitchen: Section 5/ Same Rat, Different Hat

Oh man, what a fun song, and I instantly need to know more about this band.  What I know is that they recorded at Mama Coco’s Funky Kitchen (who by the way met their Indiegogo goal! and can hopefully get up and making more great music at their new space).  I just really love this song. Right now, it stands as the funniest song I know about a Presidential assassination.

 

“Almost Home” by Moby (feat. Damien Jurado)  from Innocents

Okay.  I can’t really say that I am a huge Moby fan.  For one thing, I used to always get him mixed up with Seal.  Don’t ask how I did that, I am weird that way.  Anyway, on his latest  (I think) release he teams up with (among others) Damien Jurado (who is one of my favorites).   The result is this lovely and moving song.  As a video extra, the playlist below features a cover of this song by Nashville band Humming House.   *Additional trivia: Moby was not on How I Met Your Mother, but he was on The Mindy Project.

VIDEO PLAYLIST:



SHOP FOR MUSIC:



No comments:

Post a Comment