Thursday, July 10, 2014

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Bells and Italian Food Mix



The 700th post here at Ear to the Ground arrives with another great mix of music. We have two sub-themes going in this otherwise loosely constructed collection of songs.  Bells and Italian Food.  Read on...



“Liberty Bell” by  The Gathering from How to Measure a Planet (6:01)

The first of two songs with bells in the shuffle today comes from a Dutch progressive metal/alternative rock band which formed in 1999.  I’ll be honest, I don’t know when I added this to my playlist, but here it is, and it’s a atmospherically cool way to start the morning.

 “Ethiopian War Chant” by Tomas Doncker from Power of the Trinity (4:26)

How about this awesome track from Tomas Doncker’s Power of the Trinity release.  Tomas and band are bringing their Howlin’ Wolf tribute to the Blue Note Jazz Club in New York City tomorrow night. If you are in the city, you should be there.
 

“Pizza N Drugs” by Darrin Bradbury from Death in my Left Ear (2:29)

Darrin Bradbury brings us the first of two songs which mention types of Italian food with a little ditty about spending a Sunday with Pizza, Drugs, and someone special.  Darrin just started a weekly series with the awesome Tim Carroll at a dive bar in East Nashville called Fran’s.  It’s every Wednesday night, and you and I really need to check it out.
 

“Foggy Notion” by Jane Wiedlin from American Velvet: A Tribute to The Velvet Underground (4:07)

Go-Go Jane Wiedlin covers one of my favorite Velvet Underground songs (read one of my favorite songs) from one of who know how many VU tribute albums.
 

“Rigatoni Macaroni” by Sam Davison from Always Around (2:17)

Are you hungry yet?  New York singer/songwriter and bassist. With a fun song from his stellar Always Around album which was released last October.
 

“Dream Away” by The Yugos from Life is Awesome and Then You Live Forever (4:25)

Are a young band from Covington, Kentucky.  They came to my attention via a post by Dan Stuart (Green on Red, Danny and Dusty, solo), and when Dan talks, I listen. I’m glad I did.  Cool stuff.

 

“When Silence Was Golden” by David Schnaufer from Appalachian Picking Society (3:05)

Some sweet Appalachian music from the late, great, Nashville dulcimer player David Schnaufer.


“Jericho” by The Delta Saints from Death Letter Jubilee (4:18)

First of a couple of songs by Nashville-based Louisiana-tinged rock band The Delta Saints.
 

“Bell Ringer” by Gumshen from Protronica (7:06)

Our second “bell” related song comes from this Seattle based band.
 

“Albatross” by Stoney from More Than Animals (4:14)

We have featured several songs from the latest album by Austin based Stoney.

 
“Blank Maps” by Cold Specks from  I Predict a Graceful Expulsion (3:12)

I may be late to the game, but consider me a Cold Specks fan.  This is an awesome song, and I want to hear more.
 

“Drink it Slow” by The Delta Saints from Death Letter Jubilee (4:08)

Another great track from The Delta Saints.  My music play crapped out after this, and I had to restart the shuffle, but what a way to go.
 

“Long Way Home” by Miss Shevaughn and Yuma Wray from Lean into the Wind (4:29)

A beautiful heart wrenching track from the latest album by our friends and CXCW darlings Miss Shevaughn and Yuma Wray.

“Diamond Joe” by Guy Clark (with Verlon Thompson) from Guy Clark (2:51)

We close things out with a song that’s been in my active playlist for a long time. Glad it finally came up.  An classic performed by a pair of legendary Nashville songwriters.

Video Playlist:






-->

No comments:

Post a Comment