Thursday, December 10, 2015

Thursday Morning Music Shuffle - Like a Cash Machine Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Whew... it's been quite a week. Thanks for hanging with me as my schedule has been off...  We seem to be back on schedule. 

Enjoyed some fine Nashville music last night at The Family Wash.  Nellie Clay, Megan Palmer, and Russell Thompson - all backed by an amazing band made up of Adam "Ditch" Kurtz on pedal steel and guitar, Aaron Shafer-Haiss, and Jonathan Beam.

Today's E2TG "Earie" Award is called the "Hall of Fame" Award.  It recognizes long-time E2TG favorite artists who made significant achievements in 2015.

1.  The End Men - I was first introduced to The End Men around January 2012.  They immediately caught my attention and have been a favorite band of mine ever since.  2015 saw the release of their latest album, Terms and Conditions which found the band's sound enhanced by the addition of a sax player.  They still melt faces.  In addition, they had a successful European tour and partnered with the the comic book East of the West for a song/comic collaboration of epic proportions.




2. Valued Customer - Valued Customer have been on my radar since at least October 2012 (maybe earlier).  They are one of the most creative and unique bands I have ever encountered. Combining wildly inventive experimentation, classically trained musicianship, and some pretty deep Eastern spirituality.  The diversity of their musical knowledge and tastes puts me to shame. Although, their next album hugecup is not due until next year, the band treated us with byugecup which are b-sides from the new album - which blew me away.




To the shuffle:

"Made for TV Movie" by Sean Watkins

Our penultimate track from All I Do is Lie - by Sean Watkins of Nickel Creek and Watkins Family Hour.

"All Around in Space" by The Charades

It's fun having the occasional surf music break in the midst of my shuffle.  The Charades are a Finnish Surf/Instrumental Rock band. 

"Crammed and Jammed" by Low Society

Some powerhouse Blues from Memphis - off the album, You Can't Keep a Good Woman Down.

"Hope" by Vusi Mahlasela

A South African folk singer, that I was introduced to through Warren Haynes live recording from Bonnaroo a few years back.  There is something about African music that touches an elemental place in my being.

"I'll Meet You In the Morning" by Townes Van Zandt

The penultimate track from the live recording I downloaded back in March on what would have been Townes Van Zandt's 71st Birthday. 


"I'm Down to My Last Cigarette" by The Jayhawks

From Live at The Belly Up.  This is a cover of a Harlan Howard/Billy Walker penned song that was also covered by K.D. Lang on her album Shadowland.

"Jericho" by Tom House

An extremely timely song from Nashville songwriter Tom House from his album Winding Down the Road which was produced by Brock Zeman.


"100 Floors" by Stone Cupid   


We are inching closer to the official release date of The Cardinal - the debut album by Stone Cupid which is Julie Christensen's band.  If you didn't get in on this via the PledgeMusic campaign or pick up a copy at a live show, you will soon get your chance to own this album.  I have been digging on it for a few months now, and I can tell you it is going to be one of my favorite albums of 2016. (It's already a favorite).          


VIDEO PLAYLIST




2 comments:

  1. Crammed &Jammed, just like a cash machine....indeed!! Big ups Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete