Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Wednesday Morning Festivus Music Shuffle - Pretty Girl Dancing to Jugband Music Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Happy Festivus!  Stay tuned for the traditional airing of grievances and feats of strength.

You know, even though I have been featuring some holiday/Christmas/Winter/Red Cup themed music for the last few days, I honestly have not been in the spirit of the season.  Maybe it the fact that it is almost 70 in Nashville and tornados are possible later today or maybe it is just the realities of current life.  However, last night, I attended the Ornaments Christmas Show (it was actually their 14th performance this season) which featured the music of Vince Guaraldi from A Charlie Brown Christmas.  The night also featured Holiday music from Tom Mason and the Blue Buccaneers  and a Tuba Christmas.  There was so much great music and great vibes present that I found myself- wholly against my will caught up in the Spirit. 

It also helps that today will be my last day of work for four days and I get to leave early today!!!!

The "Earies" continue with the "Wind Comes Sweeping Down the Plain" Award.

The premise:  I don't think I've ever been to the state of Oklahoma (my parents lived there a short time before I was born). And other than the musical and some college football games, I've never given it much thought. (no offense - I really don't think much at all about anything).  In 2015, however, it seems like I kept hearing awesome music from artists who call Oklahoma home. 

The Award:

1.  I would be severely remiss if I did not give an "Earie" Award to John Moreland.  His album, High on Tulsa Heat, was a break-through and definitely among the top tier of best albums of the year.  Throughout the year, I was fortunate enough see him perform live a few time, and each and every time, he managed to give me goosebumps and stir my heart and soul.  At Americana Fest, Moreland managed to mostly silence a packed out Mercy Lounge and garnered a very rare AMA Showcase encore.  

2.  Dan Martin. I met Dan Martin at a David Olney residency at The 5 Spot earlier this year, and I got hold of his CD Hoka Hey, and it quickly became one of my favorite albums of 2015.

3. Levi Parham and John Calvin Abney.  These two amazing singer-songwriters blew me away when I saw them perform during the Campfire Propaganda residency at The 5 Spot.  Actually, I kind of feel like their is a definite psychic link between Oklahoma and East Nashville. 

4.  Samantha Crain:  I saw Samantha Crain perform as part of an incredible round at the Bluebird Café earlier this year.  She combines excellent songs with a unique voice.  There was some hope that she would make it back to Nashville this month or so, but it did not pan out.  Hopefully, we will see her here again in 2016.


Next, we wrap up our Red Cup Season Playlist!  Best to everyone no matter what you celebrate and if you are struggling with anything during this season remember you are not alone. Peace!

"somerkersfees" + "stille nag" by velodrones

We finish up velodrones Christmas EP with lovely versions of Christmas Carols.


"Blanket" + "Fantasy" + "Stocking" by Batkhi Dahn

We wrap up the Batkhi Dahn Christmas EP with three songs.  "Blanket" refers to the thing you place under the tree. I've always called it a "skirt" but I will defer to the New Englanders since they actually might have snow this season.   

"Barbeque" + "Closer Now Than Ever Before" + "Brothers" + "Hole in the Washtub" from Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas

We roll through the last four songs from the Emmet Otter Jugband Christmas.  The two-tapping Barbeque, the two songs which were mashup yesterday, and the equally toe-tapping Hole in the Washtub.   I just noticed that Hulu has the special, so maybe I will watch it all tomorrow.
"O Come, O Come Emmanuel" by Milktooth

Nashville band, Milktooth - who we have featured in the past, released a lovely version of this Carol along with a  powerful and moving video (which is in the Video Playlist below).

"Winter's Lie" by Angela Easterling

"Earie" Award winner Angela Easterling released a season song.  It is a gorgeous song.

"The Earth Stood Still" by Future of Forestry

And we finish off the Future of Forestry Advent Anthology with this song.  I think this is an original song - or at least I have not heard it before and I could not find anything in a brief search to indicate it is not a Future of Forestry original.  A really lovely song.

 


VIDEO PLAYLIST




             

1 comment: