Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - 56 Trees Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


The truth about writing a daily blog for six plus years is that you have to do it sometimes when you just don't feel like it. I have only had one significant time of not posting regularly during the entire six years of the existence of E2TG, and that was due to some significant life circumstances which forced me to take a break - and even then I tried to make some periodic posts to keep things going.  The internet is littered with blogs of all kinds that just stopped at some point.  No final post - just stopped.  Chances are the blogger thought they would post again soon and it just never happened. I get it.  I had a blog before E2TG (not a music blog - actually I'm not sure what it was) I wrote in it periodically and then at some point, I just stopped and after a time I realized it was dead.

I don't know why I am writing all this except that the past couple of weeks have been pretty stressful on several different fronts and levels, and I haven't always felt like blogging, but I have kept on. I figure, I force myself to get up and go to work, I listen to music (pretty much a given) so why not write about it. Also, I know if I give into the temporary apathy or whatever you want to call it, then I will likely start making that a habit and then one day, I will realize that E2TG is dead.

I assume that at some point I will stop writing E2TG, but I hope when I do that it is intentional and that I will go out in a blaze of glory.  Anyway, that day is not today.

Meanwhile don't even get me started on the latest from the Twit in Chief.

It is Wednesday. A day when we open up the barn doors and let all our horses run free... or to put it another way, we shuffle up the entire Song list in my phone and see what happens.  We call it Wild Wednesday - because things sometimes get wild and because it is like a "wild card" - it may be anything.


"Mira Leo Sun" by Smokey the Firebear

We begin with the return of Connecticut based experimental artist Smokey the Firebear.  This is the title track from his EP Mira Leo Sun which it looks like is no longer available.  He does still have some other releases up on his bandcamp page - check it out. 

"Isa" (Live) by Ashleigh Flynn

Next up is a live recording from a E2TG favorite Ashleigh Flynn.  This comes from a compilation called Voices from the Siren Nation Vol. 2 - Live at the Wonder Ballroom - which features female artists from the Portland, Oregon area. The album came out in 2008.

"56 Trees" by Marla Mase

A favorite of mine from Miracles: Lost and Found  the latest release by another long-time E2TG favorite, Marla Mase. A powerful song about the environment and maybe just as importantly about priorities. 
"Hurricane" by American Aquarium

Next we go back all the way to the 2010 album Small Town Hymns by North Carolina band American Aquarium. This is the opening track from that album, and I think it might not be about just a meteorological event. 

"The Hungry Wolf" by X

From Under the Big Black Sun... I just love D.J. Bonebrake's drums on this song.  

"Relovolution" by The Dead Exs

E2TG Featured The Dead Exs during the earliest days of the blog's existence. I have continued to follow David Pattillo (aka Strange Majik) through his continuing evolution. This is the title track and opening track from the 2012 album.  Look for Popa Tunes (aka David Horton) (and others) in the video.  We really could use a Relovolution soon! 

"Sad Baptist Rain" by John Moreland

The amazing upward arc of John Moreland has continued with his most recent release Big Bad Luv. This is from his breakthrough album High on Tulsa Heat.  You may have heard this one of the Double Shot show about Mood Swings. Sad. 

"Three Dimension Love" by Buck Owens

Next up, we have Buck Owens who has some connection to Buck N Stuff, but I'm not really sure what about what the connection is... This is an early release of his - from his self-titled debut album which came out in 1960.

"July in August" by Smokey the Firebear

And we close, as we began, with a track from the Mira Leo Sun EP by Smokey the Firebear.  This one seems pretty timely for late July.



No comments:

Post a Comment