Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Wild Wednesday Morning Shuffle - Zombie Walk Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!


Generally speaking, my knowledge of Nashville's music communities began with the rock scene in the 1980s - Jason and the Scorchers, Walk the West, The Questionnaires, Raging Fire, The Movement, In Pursuit, Bill Lloyd, Webb Wilder, Shadow 15, Royal Court of China and others.  I was aware of Waylon, Willie, and Kris and their music, but I did not know the story of their early days in Nashville.  A couple of years ago, for my birthday, my friends Pat and Kelsey bought me two books. One was "Outlaw: Waylon, Willie, Kris and the Renegades of Nashville" by Michael Streissguth. It is a great book and very informative about how this songwriters defied the conventions of the country music establishment and made it work. I was a fascinating peek into a moment of Nashville music history, and I was also able to draw parallels to the East Nashville songwriting community today.

Last night, in East Nashville, I had the joy of seeing Kris Kristofferson perform - at The Basement East  (Night 2 of his sold out 3 night stand).  Backed by Merle Haggard's band The Strangers (with Ben and Noel Haggard performing some of their late father's music). The band sounded great and the younger Haggards are talented and engaging.  Kristofferson is 83 years old. The joy he showed performing was palpable. His songs were as powerful as ever. "Sunday Morning Coming Down", "Me and Bobby McGee", "The Pilgram" - it was incredible hearing this songs live done by the man who wrote them. Being so close to the stage, and the realization of the history and the stories...


Moving into Year 8 of E2TG - we have our usual "Wild Wednesday" shuffle- where you never know what you might hear... Off we go!





"Why Am I Living This Way?" by Insane Jane

We start off with two Georgia bands.  First up is Atlanta band, Insane Jane from their 1991 debut album A Green Little Pill. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, my friend Ron lived in Atlanta for a time before we both ended up Nashville. We often and routinely talked about music, and he told me about this great Atlanta band called Insane Jane. I ended up buying their album based upon his recommendation (not a rare occurrence).  At some point, we found out that Insane Jane were playing in Nashville. They played some club - I want to say it was in North Nashville somewhere - but to be honest I couldn't tell you exactly where it was.  I remember that it was a new venue, and that it has somehow gotten named one of the hottest clubs in some national music publication - I thinking the club owner knew or bribed someone at the publication. Anyway, we showed up, and there were not very many people at all. Nevertheless, Insane Jane played as if it was a packed house. From that night, they set the bar for how a band should perform when there is a disappointing audience. 
"I Walked With a Zombie" by Elf Power

Next up, we have Athens band Elf Power with a cover of the RokyErickson song - from their album Nothing's Going Happen - the album features covers of songs by Buzzcocks, Misfits, Husker Du, Sonic Youth, Bad Brains, Robyn Hitchcock, and more.  Elf Power are part of the Elephant 6 collective, and I got to see them at The 40 Watt Club as part of Athens Pop Fest last year.  

"I'm Going" by Cupla

Next, from the E2TG Archives, we have the now defunct Vancouver, BC band Cupla with a song from their 2011 album Letters Home.  Cupla were a Featured Artist on E2TG back in June 2012.  When Cupla disbanded, some of the members went on to form the band Modern Day Poets. Cupla was a regular participant in Couch by Couchwest - I can't remember if that is where I first heard them.... Cupla is Irish for twins and the band featured twins Bill and Bob McAloney. 

"Freeway" by Tim Henderson

Next up, we have a live recording of the late Texas songwriter Tim Henderson.  This is from disk 2 of the Legacy Collection box set of Henderson's music. Hearing these songs, it is not surprising that Henderson's fans included Townes Van Zandt, Dom Flemons, Tom Paxton, and Richard Dobson. 

"Grey Boxes" by Chris J. Connolly

Next up, we have a track from the album Moving Maps by New York singer-songwriter Chris J. Connolly which was released in late 2017.  A beautiful and powerful song about those little grey boxes that never leave our sides and which exert way too much control over our lives.  

"Orphan's Song" by Circus Propaganda

Next we have a very brief track from the album Botany.  Circus Propaganda was kind of a super group associated with The Foresters' label Dord Music Group.  I believe Botany was their only album - released in 2015.  It featured folks from The Foresters, Atticus Floyd, Smokey the Firebear, Quinn Harley, and more. 

"Long Gone (From the Bowlin' Green)" by Louis Armstrong

From the 1954 album, Louis Armstrong plays W.C. Handy... do I really need to say more than that?

"Secrets" by Eric Andersen

Our survey of The Essential Eric Andersen continues with this song that was originally on his 1970 self-titled album.  The album was recorded in Nashville. My appreciation of Andersen's music increasing exponentially as I make my way through this collection. 

"Kristin" by Candy Apple and The Buddies

Before they were The Buddies, they were called Candy Apple and The Buddies.  The band features members of Welcome to Ashley, Pale Blue Dot, Black Vincent, Smoking Flowers, and Justin and the Cosmics.  I was fortunate enough to catch a rare live performance by The Buddies a couple of years ago - I guess, and it was one of the funnest most entertaining nights of music I have ever witnessed. 

VIDEO PLAYLIST






No comments:

Post a Comment