Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - Tilt-a-Whirl Mix



Well! The impromptu debut of Ear to the Ground Presents: at The Building last night was a huge success or at least a hell of a lot of fun with some awesome music. Thanks to Darrin Bradbury for doing all the leg work, and to The Western Shore, Sarah Potenza, Jon Latham, and Darrin and The Fran's Eastside Super High Band for bringing the awesome tunes.  Hopefully, this will be a semi-regular thing in 2015.

Let's jump into the shuffle... shall we?

"Worried Mind Blues" by Stacy Mitchhart from Live My Life

An cool, original Blues tune from Nashville Blues impresario Stacy Mitchheart.

"Bird on the Wire" by Dave Van Ronk from The Mayor of MacDougal Street (Rarities 1957-1969)

A pretty awesome Leonard Cohen cover by the Mayor of MacDougal Street, and folk revival pioneer Dave Van Ronk.


"Plastic Jesus" (Live) by Joe Nolan from Blue Turns Black

Another great tune from the catalog of Joe Nolan.  You can listen to a bunch of his music at joenolan.com.

"Reindeer Boogie" by Hank Snow from Christmas with Hank Snow

This may now be one of favorite Christmas songs.  A rocking little number by the Country Music legend whose name almost demanded that he do some Christmas songs. This goes back to 1967.

"I Can't Find My Keys" by Bobby Rush from Rush Hour

From classic Country to some classic Rhythm and Blues, Soul, Funk music from the Louisiana bluesman. Groovy song which reminds me of line from The Rainmakers' song, "The generation that would save the world is still looking for its car keys".

"Upper Mississippi River Valley Blues" by Ike Reilly from Am I Still the One for You?

Ike Reilly evokes memories of county fairs of my youth and the mysterious activities that happened along the fence line... and those rides...

"Saint Mary's" by American Aquarium from Burn.Flicker.Die.

I feel like I running out of ways to say how much I love American Aquarium.  I want to say this is one of my favorite songs on this album, but I think I've said that before, too.  If you aren't on board with this band, get to it!

"Distant One" by Heather Powell from A Haze of Grays and Blue

An awesome track from the forthcoming album from Heather Powell recorded with a bunch of the True Groove All-Stars.  An amazing voice backed by some incredible musicians.  It really doesn't get any better.

"Waffle House (Take 2)" by Darrin Bradbury from When a Car Becomes a House

This is the version of Waffle House that ended up on the When a Car Becomes a House collection.  The previous one I featured was Take One and didn't make it to the collection. I don't know the difference between the two versions, but Darrin does, and that is all that matters. "Do I use my phone or does my phone use me?" 

"Never Be the Same Again" by The Torn Images from Reviver

We close out the day with another track from the debut full-length by California Indie Rock artist The Torn Images. A pretty awesome take on "classic" alternative hard rock music. Dig it!


VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment