Friday, December 12, 2014

Friday Morning Music Shuffle - Lament Mix



It's been quite a week of shuffles and the beat goes on...  I've been really tired this whole week, so if letters just starts scrolling across the screen as I type this, someone wake me up.  We have a good one for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu... sorry...


"Something for Sellers" by Henry Mancini from The Pink Panther - Original Soundtrack

Mancini from the Pink Panther soundtrack... because - why not?

"We Take Care of Our Own" by Matt King from Raw

I think I may have featured this one before, but it's one of my favorites from this album.  I really, really want to see Matt play with Killing Streets (his newish backing band that features Matt and Livia of reigning E2TG Band of the Year - The End Men)

"Du måste va nån" by Thorsten Flinck from Till flickorna på Upplandsgatan 71 från fiaskot mittemot

A random discovery via the New Release list on Freegal.  Thorsten is from Sweden. He is an actor and director who (according to Wikipedia) is known for playing psychopaths and villains. He has been making music for some time, and this song is the opening track from his latest album - released November 26. As translated by Google, the title of the album is For the girls at Upplandsgatan 71 from the fiasco opposite and the title of this track is "You Have to Be Somebody". I'm not sure that I understand exactly what is going on here, but I quite like how this sounds.

"Lament (Lament for Guitar)" by Laurindo Almeida from Jazz Guitar Legends

Another that came to me via Peacefork and Valued Customer... This completely blew me out of the water.  There are hints of Latin rhythm somewhere in this composition, but overall, this is pretty hard to classify.  Undeniably brilliant, challenging in the best possible way, and a great addition to the shuffle.

"She Was a Wildflower" by Grant Peeples and the Peeples Rebublik from Punishing the Myth

I know I've been featuring this album ever since I got hold of it during Americana week when I got to sit beside Grant at the Wild Ponies Party at The Building, but if you do nothing else, go to his Facebook page (I will trust you to find it yourself), and read his Long Description. It is like some amazing short novel that needs to be written and probably will be, and it helps to explain to the extent possible that how this amazing music came to be so amazing.

"The Ballad of Boerne and Alice" by D.C. Bloom from D.C. Bloom

A new arrival from one my favorite music sources out of Austin (Gina Sigillito)... D.C. Bloom is from San Antonio, Texas, and all of the songs I've heard so far have this awesome silky smooth Texas sound... but this song - about the...ahem... shortcomings of dating over the Internet, is nothing short of brilliant.  I think I've found another new favorite artist.

"Julius and Ethel (Atomic Love Story)" by Darrin Bradbury from When a Car Becomes a House

Like me, Darrin Bradbury watches too much television. He watched a documentary about Julius and Ethel Rosenberg - who were the American couple who were executed for conspiracy to commit espionage by selling secrets about the atomic bomb to the Russians.  Darrin's take away from this story is about the strength of the love that lead Ethel to refuse to divulge information which could have potentially saved her own life. It's a beautiful song.

"I'll Be Walking the Floor This Christmas" by Ernest Tubb and His Texas Troubadours

How about the original E.T. with a classic Country Christmas song.... so nice...

"Our Love" by Judah and the Lion from Sweet Tennessee

Next up, we have another great track from fast rising Nashville band, Judah and the Lion. 

"Afternoon" by The Foresters from Sun Songs

And, we close out the week with the brand newish single from The Foresters which will be on their next album Sun Songs.  I may sound like a broken record, but I continue and continue to be impressed by the growth and maturity of this band of young brothers from Connecticut. There are very few traces of the Pop Punk sound of their earliest music, but if you have been following, the evolution has been steady and quite amazing.  Here's to big, big things in 2015.



VIDEO PLAYLIST


No comments:

Post a Comment