Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Tuesday Afternoon Music Shuffle - Iced In Part II Mix



Still at home, even more bored, but I did finally join seemingly everyone on my Facebook news feed and finally watched the SNL 40 special.
===

Lesley Gore passed away yesterday. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've referenced her most famous song.




On to today's shuffle:




1.  "We Sing Hallelujah"  by Richard and Linda Thompson

From I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight... Probably my favorite Richard and Linda Thompson album.  I love almost every song on it.  

2. "The Guns of Brixton" by The Clash

From London Calling...  Oh man, I love this song... such a great groove!

3. "Shit, Damn, Motherfucker" by D'Angelo

From Brown Sugar....  With D'Angelo getting so much attention from his long delayed third album, why not go back twenty years to his first album from 1995.  

4. "Holocaust" by Big Star

From Third/Sister Lovers...  Sister Lovers is such a devastatingly broken masterpiece and Holocaust is pretty the epitome of broken pop genius. 

5. "Don't Matter to Me" by KaiL Baxley

From Heatstroke/The Wind and The War...  I have just now become acquainted with KaiL Baxley who is a California (by way of South Carolina) blues musician, and I like what I've heard so far - very much. 

6. "I'm a Fool to Want You" by Bob Dylan

From Shadows in the Night... When you are Bob Dylan, you can make an album of Frank Sinatra covers and people will eat it up...mainly because it is pretty darn awesome.

7. "Make It Alone" by Walter Egan

From Not Shy...  From the same album as his mega hit "Magnet and Steel", Egan now resides in Franklin, TN. 

8. "Undertaken" by The Transcendents

From The Transcendents... My shuffle function loves this band, as do I.  I'm still digesting how to write about the music, but on Facebook, they list their genre as Noir, and that seems about as good as anything I can come up with. It's like dark, murky folk music coming from distant place that you've been before.  That sentence is either pure genius or completely ridiculous... I haven't decided yet, but I'm going to let it stand. 

9. "Inside Out" by Spoon

From They Want My Soul....  I can't say that I've listened to as much Spoon as I could have, so I'm glad my friend included two songs on his annual mix CDs.

10. "I Don't Need to Know" by Jeremy Gluck and Robert Coyne

From Memory Deluxe: I Knew Buffalo Bill 2...   I am really enjoying this album from Flickknife Records in the UK.  It's a great sounding record.

VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment