Monday, June 29, 2015

Monday Morning Music Shuffle - Into the Mandolin Wind Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Welcome to the working week... since we last gather here, I've had the great good fortune to see some incredibly great music.  Friday night, I got to hang out with awesome people and witness the Tim Lee 3 rocking the house in a rare Nashville appearance followed by the amazing R.B. Morris with his crack band bringing words and music together in the most spellbinding way.

Saturday night, I saw Ted Drozdowki's Scissormen rock the stage at City Winery opening for The Baseball Project. The Baseball Project haven taken a concept and through a love of the subject and the creative geniuses behind The Dream Syndicate, Young Fresh Fellows, The Minus 5, and R.E.M. among others rode that concept for 8 years and 3 albums to date with no sign of slowing down.  My review of that show is on No Depression.

After the Baseball Project show, I got to hang out with more cool people (after climbing a circular staircase) and see an incredible round of music that makes me proud to live in this city.  Kevin Gordon, Sarah Potenza (accompanied by her husband Ian), and Jeff Black sat and delivered to a packed out lounge at City Winery.

As if that was not enough, Sunday night, I got to hang out with the immensely talented Russell Thompson and watch Mary Gauthier and Allison Moorer swap songs for almost two hours accompanied for much of the time by the incredible guitarist Kenny Greenberg.  My review of that show should be posted on No Depression very soon.

Whew!  Now back to the workday grind (but only a four day work week this week), and a brand new never before heard shuffle of music to melt your mind and expand you face... or something like that...

"North Korea and the Five Stages of Grief" by Forebear

Forebear on an Alternative Rock band from L.A. This song, with awesome title, has been hanging around my playlist for a while. A great way to start the week. From the self-titled EP.

"Into the Wind" by John Wesley Harding

Starting off a "Wind" themed mini-set with the shuffle, comes another a great track from the artist current known as Wesley Stace from the album Why We Fight!

"Mandolin Wind" by Rod Stewart

Continuing and concluding our little mini-set of "wind" songs... comes this track from Rod Stewarts brilliant third album, Every Picture Tells a Story. 

"Our Home" by Hugh Trimble

Our final track from Hugh Trimble's neighborpoem album - and one my favorites.  Now, I need to move on to some of his newer music.  I really love his songs, and I am happy that the Mama Coco's Funky Kitchen folks introduced them to me through one of their compilations.

"Joy" by Son Little

The first of two recordings from World Café Sessions.  I really don't know much about Son Little, but I dig this song which comes from the 2014 EP, Things I Forgot on ANTI- Records.

"Blues de Bernadette" by Lost Bayou Ramblers

Another from the World Café sessions.  My family are from the same general area as this band, and Cajun music has a special place in my heart and in my blood. Always great to hear younger bands and artists spreading that rich, unique musical form near and far and keeping the culture alive. The song comes from their 2012 album Mammoth Waltz.

"While We're Apart" by Beat Rodeo

We close out the day's shuffle with our final track from the Beat Rodeo album, Home in the Heart of the Beat.  I "discovered" Beat Rodeo thanks to IRS Records Presents: The Cutting Edge - which brought a lot of great music to me in my pre-internet small town isolation - back when the M in MTV stood for music.
             

VIDEO PLAYLIST



No comments:

Post a Comment