Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tuesday Morning Music Shuffle - Lock the Door and Unplug the Phone Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Be sure to check out my review of Drew Kohl's new EP, Sweetheart.

When I hit shuffle this morning, there were 985 songs in my active playlist. Based upon statistical averages, the number of combinations for the first 10 songs to come up in a random shuffle of those songs, is... well, I don't know, but it's probably a pretty big number.  And yet, on any given shuffle, only one combination actually did come up, and here it is...

"N.Y.C." by Human Radio

The recently reformed Memphis/Nashville band with a song from their self-titled album from back in the day. 

"Everything Blue" by Kansas Bible Company

Nashville via Goshen, IN horn-based rock and roll 12-piece with a song from their Dad's Day EP.

"Sugah Daddy" by D'Angelo and The Vanguard

From the album Black Messiah... D'Angelo always makes my shuffles better.

"I Missed the Point" by Neko Case

From her third album, Black Listed... 

"Out the Door" by Hoodoo Gurus

From Blow Your Cool!  I don't listen to Hoodoo Gurus as much as I used to, but every time I do listen, I am reminded again why they are one of my all-time favorite bands.

"I've Wasted My Time Getting Wasted" by Reckless Johnny Wales

Reckless Johnny Wales had probably forgotten more about Nashville music than most people ever knew.  He is larger than life - and in a previously incarnation he was a Music Row Executive who is a CMA Founding President's award winner and who discovered and signed Faith Hill. In retirement, he reinvented him self as a folk/roots legend. Reckless Johnny has a new album coming out soon, and this is the first taste of it, but it definitely will not be the last.  Having met Reckless Johnny and heard some of his stories, I tend to believe that he writes from experience.

"No One's Home" by  Gear Daddies

The Gear Daddies capture a period in my life almost as if they were watching me... I remember - in the days before cell phones and constant internet connections - being lonely and filled with ennui as only a young twenty-something can be... and choosing to combat my loneliness by unplugging my phone to further isolate myself from the world. It made sense at the time. Anyway, this song brings me back to those days.

"Handsome" by The Vaccines

For some reason, I always think The Vaccines are an old band from like the 70s or something. I don't know why and it's not really relevant. Anyway, I always like a shot of rock and roll added into my shuffles.  Handsome is the lead single from the brand new album by The Vaccines  which is titled English Graffiti. I like the song quite a bit.

"Where I Lead Me" by Townes Van Zandt

Taken from a 1973 live recording which I downloaded on the late singer-songwriter's birthday.  This is a song from Van Zandt's 1971 fourth album, Delta Momma Blues.

"The One I'm Still Thinking About" by Darrell Scott

We close things out today with a song written by the late Ben Bullington.  Darrell Scott's latest album '10' features the songs of Bullington who was a country doctor and a songwriter who passed away from cancer a couple of years ago.  I was fortunate enough to attend a CD Release party which featured an all-star cast and which was a celebration of songs - Ben Bullington's songs and the songs of the various performers - all songs Bullington would have loved.


VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment