Thursday, May 26, 2016

Throwback Thursday Morning Shuffle - Big Brass Bed Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

For Nashville Events and more - check out our friends at Fighting the Nashville Blues...


Burning the candle at both ends...  so, last night, I went home after work, and I feel asleep (after having not slept much the night before), and I work up just before 7:00.  I looked at the time and immediately jumped up - still groggy and thinking that I had fallen asleep on the couch and slept through the night, and that I was now way far behind getting ready for work.  After a bit, my head started to clear, and although I had to get ready fairly quickly for Stone Cupid at The High Watt, I was not actually too far behind.  Needless to say, I had to punt on all of the other awesome stuff happening last night.  Stone Cupid (the full band!!!!) were incredible.  Julie Christensen is a force of nature, and man they can all play.

Stone Cupid at The High Watt 5/25/2016 
Photo and effects by: Joe Wolfe-Mazeres

Thankfully, I am now well-rested and ready to take on the last day and a half before a three day weekend!

It is Thursday which is when we throw it back... E2TG style...


"Footprints" by (remix) A Tribe Called Quest (feat. CeeLo Green)

The original track is off of the 1990  album, People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm, which the debut album of A Tribe Called Quest.  The album got a 25th Anniversary reissue last year, and that release featured three remixed songs including this one featuring Cee Lo Green.

"The Truth" by John Wesley Harding

From, Why We Fight - one of my favorite albums.. The album was released in 1992. 

"Snowdrops" by The Shakers

Another from Nashville-based, pagan/celtic/dark-folk pioneers (my description), The Shakers who spun off from Royal Court of China.  The 1990 album was called Songs from Beneath the Lake. 

"The Boy Wonders" by Aztec Camera

This closes out our revisit of High Land, Hard Rain and is the track whose lyrics give the album it's title.  This one goes back to 1983, and to me still sounds pretty darn fresh. 

"Polarity" by Minutemen

This was the very last song on What Makes a Man Start Fires?, which was the second full-length album by Minutemen of San Pedro, California.  Also a 1983 release - it is still amazing to think about the body of work that this band managed to accumulate in such a tragically short period of existence. 

"Take Me Home with You, Baby" by Jessie Mae Hemphill

I credit Luella with introducing me to the music of Jessie Mae Hemphill who played blues music in the North Mississippi Hill Country style. This track came from the soundtrack of a 2009 French film called, Un Prophete. 

"Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian" by John Prine

A completely silly novelty song...  Even when (co-)writing silly songs, John Prine is John Prine.  From that 1986 live recording issued by Noisetrade.  

"Lament" by Blake Babies

Another live album released by Noisetrade... this one is a recording of a 1989 show my Boston band, Blake Babies. 

"Me and Elvis" by Human Radio

Fresh on the news that the mixing is done (or almost done) on the long awaited new album, here is the most famous song by Nashville (by way of Memphis) band Human Radio - from their self-titled album which was released in 1990.


VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment