Friday, May 27, 2016

Featured Friday Morning Shuffle - Amp of Epi Mix



Be sure to "Like" Ear to the Ground on Facebook!

Nashville happenings and other cool stuff... - Check out our friends at Fighting the Nashville Blues for the scoop!

ICYMI - E2TG premiered the brand new video from Charlie Hager for his song "These Days" - you can read my words and watch the video here.


Trying to coast toward the end of the week and into the long holiday weekend...

Last night, having caught up on sleep the night before, I headed out despite threatening weather to catch the last night of Kevin Gordon's residency at The 5 Spot. Gordon opening solo - showing of the intricacies of his songs and the richness of his voice and guitar work. He even threw in a cover of Richard Thompson's "Keep Your Distance".

Then with his band, he flat out rocked the house.  Advice, if you get the chance to see Kevin Gordon live, go see him.

After that show ended, I headed to one of my favorite new venues, The Country.  I got there in the middle of Sean Rivers set, and I was really impressed.  Great songs and a rocking sound.  Next up was E2TG favorite Zachariah Red with a six piece band that featured a lot of cool folks - including Taylor Alexander, Drew Kohl, and Tim Ryssemus of Ricca Vita. I have been following Zach since I met him over a year and a half ago, and I have to say he is sounding better than ever. I really fun set that included an Eagles cover and a Marshall Tucker cover along with songs from Zach's last two records.

Last of the bill was Jason Martin who played really heavy but melodic rock.  Josh Waters played guitar with both Rivers and Martin.

All in all, a fun night and I enjoyed seeing a bunch awesome people.

Today in the Featured Friday shuffle, we have a pretty diverse mix of music... so enjoy...


"Ask Me No Questions" by Bob Margolin

Some traditional blues music from Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin from his album My Road.  Somehow, this approach never seemed to work for me.  

"Tension" by Paliki

From the blues, we move to some really cool post-wave, indie rock music from Italy.  I've been hearing a bunch of cool music from Italy lately.  This debut single was released just a week or so ago.  I could only find the video for the preview - check out the whole song below:





"The Devil Is His Name" by David Newbould

One of the cool people I ran into last night, at Kevin Gordon, was David Newbould who just released his new EP, The Devil Is His Name.  Today, we have the title track.  A really top-notch record - check it out!

"Solemn Witness" by Calming River

The EP is called The Ones We Left Behind.  Calming River is from the UK by way of Denmark.  We have been featuring this one for a while, and this is the final track we have to feature. 

"Tell is Told" by The Gypsy West

It really great to have new music to present from a long time E2TG favorite.  Long time readers will recall, that I reviewed the final installment of The Accomplices trilogy a couple of years ago.   Main member, Alex relocated from Brooklyn to Boston, and he is back with a new line-up and a fantastic new album called, Modern Atlas which drops in June.  You can download one song and preorder the album on bandcamp

"Jakfox" by Freaks for Geeks

Our newish friends, Freaks for Geeks from Chicago are back in the shuffle with another awesome track from TIN. This is really good rocking, hip-hop music.  Check them out!

"When Your Heart Stops Beating (An Amp of Epinephrine)" by Ask for Joy

We close out the set with one of my favorite songs from New Private Window by Austin, Texas based band, Ask for Joy.  Ask for Joy are one of my favorite "discoveries" of 2016.  Check them out. 


VIDEO PLAYLIST

No comments:

Post a Comment